Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
TDN

I'm in doubt here.

I've got some assignments coming up in february where I could really use a P-TTL flash.

I wanted to go for the Metz 48-AF-1, but it's not in stock anywhere.

The Sigma 530 DG ST is, and it's about 40 euros cheaper than the Metz (that's 59 USD that could go towards K200D-savings...)

Does anyone have experience with either of these 2? Maybe some samples?

Thanks,

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:38 PM   #2

I've got the Sigma 530 Super and I like it a lot. Haven't had much of a chance yet to do any really testing of it (aside from some wireless p-ttl test), so far so good. The off camera optical sensor is amazing! I have heard some rave reviews on the metz to, so I don't think you can go wrong.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:37 AM   #3

The sigma ST flashes are the budget versions, while the Super has all the clever bits to take full advantage of P-TTL.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
TDN

Well, none of the shops I contacted could have the Metz flash before februari (when I need one), so I ordered the Sigma 530 DG ST which was in supply.

I also discovered something in their 2nd hand stuff, a Pentax AF-1.7x convertor! I didn't hesitate and got it for 75 euros (about 110$)

Tom
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:46 AM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I also discovered something in their 2nd hand stuff, a Pentax AF-1.7x convertor! I didn't hesitate and got it for 75 euros (about 110$)

So I can still dream of an F*300mm in a flea market box with mixed "things" for 10 bucks?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:24 PM   #6
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

So I can still dream of an F*300mm in a flea market box with mixed "things" for 10 bucks?

Kjell
Hehe, read my mind kjell!

I almost got a K 400mm f5.6 and 135mm f2.5 for a bargain price yesterday, but both turned out to have fungus so I didn't buy.

...we can always hope, right?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:41 PM   #7

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I'm in doubt here.

I've got some assignments coming up in february where I could really use a P-TTL flash.

I wanted to go for the Metz 48-AF-1, but it's not in stock anywhere.

The Sigma 530 DG ST is, and it's about 40 euros cheaper than the Metz (that's 59 USD that could go towards K200D-savings...)

Does anyone have experience with either of these 2? Maybe some samples?

Thanks,

Tom
I read quite a few Metz 58 report from users (all from Europe) . But somehow all the threads during those days were gone from dpreview because of hardware trouble.

Metz 58 is not available in N Am yet.

I recall all the 58 users gave positive inputs.

I have Sigma ST as I am a no-frill users (translation: I am cheap). One thing I like ST as it has the same power as the Super version. And it is very very close to that of the Pentax 540 in GN. AF360 is the weakest of all at only 2/3 of the firepower of AF540/Sigma ST or Sigma Super

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:53 PM   #8

TDN wrote:
Quote:

Tom
Arggh! How I wish there were actual camera shops anywhere around me to look for bargains in. Congratulations, an AF 1.7x is on my short list and that is a heck of a price compared to what they are bringing on ebay.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:08 AM   #9
TDN

aw crud...appearantly their site wasn't up to date, and the convertor had been sold already...I hate it when web shops do that. I mean, if there's 1 thing a webshop needs, it's a reliable website...bah.:sad:

Lets hope the flash is still in stock.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:56 AM   #10

I just got my new flash today,a Metz mecablitz 45 CL-4

It has the adaptor that enables to work as P-TTL or just about any other flash mode imaginable, I think.

This was an experimental shot, bounced off the ceiling and the walls. The Metz head can point up and swivel as well.

It can also do second curtain and high speed sync. A loveley toy,

Phil
Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote