Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:25 PM   #1

The weather is not good for photography today, overcast and cooling, but I thought a short ride to the Blue Heron Wetlands might produce something, I think I got a couple good pictures. Using the Tamron 70-300mm again.

Terry

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:46 PM   #2

Love #1
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:41 PM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
The weather is not good for photography today,¬* overcast and cooling,¬* but I thought a short ride to the Blue Heron Wetlands might produce something,¬* I think I got a couple good pictures.¬* Using the Tamron 70-300mm again.

¬*
Terry
This is amazing perspective of a young bird. Well done

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:21 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very good compositions...but the pictures appear a bit soft. I would have expected the K10D to have sharpimages especially with SR. Sorry...don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm!

Jay
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:42 PM   #5

the tammy looks good in the 1st one especially at 300 and wide open. for white birds i'v found shooting at a -2ev works well to retain the feathers detail. this is one of my favorite type of shot.. strong contrast between subject and background.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:22 PM   #6

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Very good compositions...but the pictures appear a bit soft.¬* I would have expected the K10D to have sharp¬*images especially with SR.¬* Sorry...don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm!

Jay
Given that it was taken at 300mm at F5.6 (thin DoF), it is understandable that only the wings were in focus not the eye/head. With or without SR does not really matter for a tele shot like that. The extended wings of a young bird is interesting

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:45 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:

Quote:
Given that it was taken at 300mm at F5.6 (thin DoF), it is understandable that only the wings were in focus not the eye/head. With or without SR does not really matter for a tele shot like that. The extended wings of a young bird is interesting
Daniel
While it is correct that DoF would be thin at 300 mm, it is typicall wider when the subject is a distance away from the lens.I presume this was the case in the above pics. I also believe that at 300mm the recommended shutter speed for hand held is 1/300th of a sec. Anything slower is likely to produce camera shake for which SR could compensate. The head (Img. #1) is definitely a victim of shallow DoF. However, the wings themselves appear soft on my monitor.

Question for 2many: What shutter speed & ISOwere you using, and was SR in use? My EXIF viewer is dead and I cannot see the technical specs of your images.
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:57 PM   #8

jelpee wrote:
Quote:

Question for 2many: What shutter speed & ISOwere you using, and was SR in use? My EXIF viewer is dead and I cannot see the technical specs of your images.
The shutter speed was 1/125 and the iso was 400. I am of course still getting used to the camera so it was shot in idiot mode thats why the very thin DOF.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote