Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:20 PM   #1

I've somehow lost the little snap cover that goes on the bottom of the 18-55mm kit lens hood. Has anyone heard of a source for these or do you need to buy a new hood. It's not a big deal, butI like to keep my stuffin good repair. I've also lost the rubber eye cup protector for the viewfinder. Next thing I suspect the LCD or something will fall off. I have the Pentax DL. To many miles on the trail- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:40 PM   #2

I haven't seen any listing for the piece that fits on the hood. The rubber eye cup can be found. But wouldn't that be a good excuse to buy a new camera (I can't use the viewfinder, time for a new camera...).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3

Yep, but on the other hand I could say lost my lens hood cover, I guess I need a new lens. Sounds good to me - Bruce
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:35 AM   #4
TDN

Do you mean you lost the front/rear lens cap? or the hood alltogether?

Either way, ebay is a good place to start looking.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:00 AM   #5

don't know about the hood but when i lost my rubber eyecup i finally ended up just ordering a real pentax one from a camera shop in town after trying to source an after market one online etc. it took a few weeks to get it (we're in NW Ontario and everything takes longer) but when it came it's actually nicer than the original- it seems to stick on tighter. good luck in your search.

eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:27 AM   #6

if you have a good relationship with your local camera shop they may have spare parts that can replace what you have lost. otherwise what tom recommended, it's probably going to cost less to buy a new lens hood off ebay than find the exact part from pentax. eye cups can be found fairly easily on there too.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:21 AM   #7

The part I lost was the small plastic snap cover that is at the bottomof the lens hood. You can remove this so you can get in and operate a polarizer etc.

I guess I shouldn't worry about it, because I would have to take it out anyway when I use my polarizer. This is what can happen when you sit around gettingcabin fever and wondering what to worry aboutnext. It's predicted to be 6 degrees here tonight. The only one out taking pictures is Roger.

I actually am notgoing to replace the eyecup. I have found that when I use a tripod and the sun is shining in the backof the camera, you need to use the little MXviewfinder capthat comes with the camera to cover the viewfinder or the lightmeter will be off from stray light entering the camerathrough the viewfinder. This is mainly true when you're taking pictures in the shade with the camera in the sun- Bruce
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:30 PM   #8

If its any consolation, the hood evenually gets so loose. it falls off, so maybe it's time to buy a replacement - mind you Pentax UK NEVER reply to E-Mails so finding a source of these might be difficult.

I believe that the hood costs in the region of UK£15 - I can buy a brand new DA 15-55mm lens for UK£30 which make the hood on its own rather expensive.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:44 PM   #9

Have you tried just calling Pentax? We had lost a dice piece to a game years ago and I called the company to find out how to order one they just shipped a whole new set of dice free of charge. At least it's worth a try.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote