Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:57 AM   #1

I am thinking about buying a new DSLR. I have a older Pentax 35mm film camera now and some lens for it, so I want a pentax dslr. I see that there is a $100 rebate on both cameras, but just not sure which camera fits me better. I know that K100 super is a 6.1mp and the K10D is a 10.1mp. I want to shot wild life, macro of flowers and buildings. Also sometimes action shots, but not a lot of them. I also will print a lot of these shots in 8x10 format. So, what would you buy?

getastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:59 AM   #2

I have both the older K100 and the K10. Both cameras have advantages and disadvantages and so it depends on what is more important to you. The image quality is very similar - I've resized pictures taken with both cameras and posted them here - most of the time you can't see any image quality differences (when you look at 100% crops, there's obvious differences due to the extra mp with the K10). There's slight differences in white balance between the two cameras - I prefer the K10 over the K100 but it isn't a big deal and can be changed with software, especially if you shoot raw.

K100 Advantages: The K100 is physically smaller and lighter and that can be a big advantage for hiking, especially if you have heavier lenses. My K100 has less noise at 1600 ISO, and it offers the option of ISO 3200 (though the noise is significant and I don't use it). So it is the camera I'll use in low light when flash isn't an option.

K10 Advantages: The extra mp come in handy for cropping, and that's very useful for macro and birds, where it seems like you never have a long enough lens.There'smore controls on the camera body - you can change metering modeswith a flick of the finger rather than having to go into a menu. There's also a number of ways of customizing the controlsto meet your needs (love having the two control dials!). The weather sealing is nice in the snow and light rain, though the only two current weather sealed lenses are expensive (I have the DA*50-135 and it's excellent).

The K10 is a more advanced camera, the photographer has more ability to control it. That can be a disadvantage sometimes - if you want to grab a quick shot there's the possibility that the camera isn't set up right. I've also occasionally accidentally changed a control while I've been putting the camera in the bag - once took a bunch of outdoor pictures at ISO 1600 before I noticed.

It sounds like the K10 would be better for your uses (extra mp and weather seals). However, best thing to do is go to a camera store and try one (especially if you have a favorite heavy lens), then compare it to the size/weight of the K100. You might find you prefer one over the other. It's price at the moment is very compelling at the moment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the info. I've read tons of reviews on both and looked at the pics from both, but I am leaning towards the K10.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:07 PM   #4

Rumor has it that Pentax might announce some new bodies in a couple of days - on 1/24. If something comes of it, there might be some additional rebates or price cuts on the existing models, and / or the new bodies may be something to look into.

Just a couple of random thoughts....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:43 PM   #5

If you want to wait the announcement for the new camera's is on the 24th, probably the soonest you will see any of these will be 4 to 6 weeks later. The prices will probably be that the 200D that replaces the 100D will be about the same price as the K10D

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Myself I wasnt willing to wait and with the $100 rebate on the K10 it was a bargain, and I am truely enjoying the camera, I have owned the K100 as well but the K10 is just so much more camera.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:15 PM   #6

I am going to wait until the 24th to see the cameras and prices. If the k200 specs is what I've heard about, I just might end up with that one. For now I tjink I am looking at the K10 and with $100 it makes it a better deal. Also the new cameras should drop the price of the k100 & k10. I guess I wait a couple of day more.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:10 PM   #7

Your not going to see a drop in prices, the K100D super is already a hard to find item, and the K10 will be in the same boat shortly.

But if you have to have the latest and greatest, then by all means wait.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:07 PM   #8

Hi,

We know what you like to photograph, but not how you want to control the capturing process. The K100 offers many pre-programmed options that could greatly simplify, whereas the K10 makes significantly greater control readily available.

I would advise against the K10 if you prefer to use the more automated aspects. The K100 simplifies this procedure.

Most of the time, I like the more hands on approach provided by the K10. Of course the greater ability to crop is also nice.

Conclusion - even if the K10 is available at a substantially reduced price, if it doesn't work the way you want to work ...

Of course, this is all tempered by which body feels best in your hands. The best camera is no good if you are uncomfortable using it.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:25 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone that gave me their info. I went out today I held the K100 & K10. After holding both I bought the K10. Thank everyone.....