Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Hi I am using a Tamrac Velocity 8 Sling pack and like it alot, but I have one small problem. How do I carry my Monopod or tripod? There are very tight loops on the side of the bag which are for the accessory pouches and the monopod will not fit through the loops. Any ideas?
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2

This may not be of any help, but I have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 bag and it has a couple of loops on the outside. One just fits my Gitzo monopod (side)and the other (back)I can hook the handle of my Slik tripod in it when it is folded down. It is a small tripod and very lightweight. Anything very big would not work. I look like a Gypsy when I hit the trail.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../je1002-1.html

After reading the artcle above, I bought the diffuser and reflector they talk about and thesehang nicely on the outsideofmy bag. They are very well made and nice for macro work on wildflowers. AdoramaorB&Halso have them. I'm not familair with the bag you have, so this may be of no help to you- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:02 PM   #3

bper wrote:
Quote:
This may not be of any help, but I have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 bag and it has a couple of loops on the outside. One just fits my Gitzo monopod (side)and the other (back)I can hook the handle of my Slik tripod in it when it is folded down. It is a small tripod and very lightweight. Anything very big would not work. I look like a Gypsy when I hit the trail.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../je1002-1.html

After reading the artcle above, I bought the diffuser and reflector they talk about and thesehang nicely on the outsideofmy bag. They are very well made and nice for macro work on wildflowers. AdoramaorB&Halso have them. I'm not familair with the bag you have, so this may be of no help to you- Bruce
I also have the Slingshot, but the loops are a fight to get the pods in. I need an idea that isn't a battle.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:24 PM   #4

Hi Joel,

I'd just thread one of those double sided velcro strips that they use to bind wire bundles (IIRC they make em up to 8" long) through the loop to the QR buckles on the sides of the bag for the top. You could wrap it around either the tri or monopod, or put one on each side and carry both.

If you want them more secure, you could sew a strip of nylon webbing at the ends of the strip, locating it towards the bottom of the bag and slip another velcro wrap through it to give you another attachment point. I'd just use a split ring and punch it through the material of the bag, but most are more fussy about this.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the idea, but I am going to take it one step farther, I will use two straps with quick-release and thread them through the top loops. I will even sew them to the loops so they can't get lost and the monopod will run parallel to my shoulders or if I use one hanging parallel to the bag side.

It is amazing how heavy the carbon monopod became after adding a ballhead. I have a light weight one and a heavy duty one. The light weight will serve when in Europe.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:18 PM   #6

joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the idea, but I am going to take it one step farther, I will use two straps with quick-release and thread them through the top loops. I will even sew them to the loops so they can't get lost and the monopod will run parallel to my shoulders or if I use one hanging parallel to the bag side.

It is amazing how heavy the carbon monopod became after adding a ballhead. I have a light weight one and a heavy duty one. The light weight will serve when in Europe.
Hi Joel,

Have you considered the Manfrotto 3229 Tilt head for the monopod? Not too heavy (@ 9 oz), and not that expensive. The RC2 QR isn't the most stable, but it's very quick, and the plates are cheap, convenient (no tools needed to tighten them down hard) and available just about everywhere.

This is what I use, and I'll never go back to a ballhead for monopod use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Scott
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:10 PM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
joelw135 wrote:
Quote:

Hi Joel,

Have you considered the Manfrotto 3229 Tilt head for the monopod? Not too heavy (@ 9 oz), and not that expensive. The RC2 QR isn't the most stable, but it's very quick, and the plates are cheap, convenient (no tools needed to tighten them down hard) and available just about everywhere.

This is what I use, and I'll never go back to a ballhead for monopod use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Scott
Scott

Do they make one just a tad heavier duty?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:05 PM   #8

Nice mount, I will take a closer look at it. I just bought a ball head that is fairly heavy duty, and has a fluid head works real nice, but not lite at all.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:23 AM   #9

Scott

Dawg
[/quote]

Hi Dawg,

If you're worried about the 6lb load capacity, I don't know quite where that comes from. I've been using one for over two years, and just about the whole last season, I was using it with the 300/2.8, which is about the same weight as the Bigma, so it's right on the edge of the stated capacity.

I never walk with the cam mounted on a stick, so I mount and dismount the cam over a hundred times during a day's shooting, if that means anything. . . anyway, I've never had a problem with it, and don't anticipate one in the future. It's a very sturdy piece.

The only other head that's anything like it operationally is the very expensive ($329), and not yet available Acratech Long Lens Head. It's a bit of overkill, I think for a monopod head, but they do make nice stuff. . .

Scott
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:46 AM   #10

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Scott

Dawg
Hi Dawg,

If you're worried about the 6lb load capacity, I don't know quite where that comes from. I've been using one for over two years, and just about the whole last season, I was using it with the 300/2.8, which is about the same weight as the Bigma, so it's right on the edge of the stated capacity.

I never walk with the cam mounted on a stick, so I mount and dismount the cam over a hundred times during a day's shooting, if that means anything. . . anyway, I've never had a problem with it, and don't anticipate one in the future. It's a very sturdy piece.

The only other head that's anything like it operationally is the very expensive ($329), and not yet available Acratech Long Lens Head. It's a bit of overkill, I think for a monopod head, but they do make nice stuff. . .

Scott

After a lot of thought and need for light weight and contacting a few companies I decided to go with the Trek-Tech Magmount with safety lock. It is the same as the Trek-pod uses. I hope this works out OK.