Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:29 PM   #1

Again from this morning!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:36 PM   #2

Dawg,

Yes you are getting much better with the Bigma, The pictures today are much sharper. I was happy to see the Rocker on the deck, us old codgers need our rockers.

Terry
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:26 PM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
Dawg,

Yes you are getting much better with the Bigma, The pictures today are much sharper. I was happy to see the Rocker on the deck, us old codgers need our rockers.

Terry
Amen Terry. Thanks for taking as look at todays offering..I plan on them getting better and better!

Dawg
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:47 PM   #4

I have Downy woodpeckers feeding regularly on the two caged suet/seed blocks hanging on a Box Elder maple tree in my front yard. It has been quite cold since they started feeding, and I have had to get my pix shooting through two panes of not-so-clean window glass. Still, I am pleased with the results. When summer comes, if the Downies are still feeding, I will be able to shoot then from an outside position, and I will then post some pix on this forum.

These are very skittish birds. They land first high up in the tree, then gradually dart from branch to branch, working lower and closer to the feeder. Once at the feeder they seem to lose all caution, and pay attention only to their bellies.

The male and female are almost alike, but the male has a small bright red patch only on the top of his head. You have to look closely to notice the red patch.

The Box Elder Maple tree is interesting. It is native in my state, Missouri. It is called Box Elder because it attracts swarms of Box Elder bugs at certain times of the year. Its wood in infected with some sort of disease which leaves a reddish streak in the wood. At one time I did a lot of wood turning, and the Box Elder wood was one of the most strikingly beautiful woods I worked with. If the tree in my yard dies I may have to go back to turning.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I have Downy woodpeckers feeding regularly on the two caged suet/seed blocks hanging on a Box Elder maple tree in my front yard. It has been quite cold since they started feeding, and I have had to get my pix shooting through two panes of not-so-clean window glass. Still, I am pleased with the results. When summer comes, if the Downies are still feeding, I will be able to shoot then from an outside position, and I will then post some pix on this forum.

These are very skittish birds. They land first high up in the tree, then gradually dart from branch to branch, working lower and closer to the feeder. Once at the feeder they seem to lose all caution, and pay attention only to their bellies.

The male and female are almost alike, but the male has a small bright red patch only on the top of his head. You have to look closely to notice the red patch.

The Box Elder Maple tree is interesting. It is native in my state, Missouri. It is called Box Elder because it attracts swarms of Box Elder bugs at certain times of the year. Its wood in infected with some sort of disease which leaves a reddish streak in the wood. At one time I did a lot of wood turning, and the Box Elder wood was one of the most strikingly beautiful woods I worked with. If the tree in my yard dies I may have to go back to turning.

Old Engineer
Thanks for posting the very interesting information....The downy's here in my yard have gotten very used to me and don't pay me any attention at all as long as I stay on the porch. Any sudden movement and they go behind the tree and poke their head around to look at me...Very funny when they do that.

Dawg