Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:33 PM   #1

Here's what the moon looks like, shot at 7:30on a very cold wintermorning. The thing I like about this one is the fact that this morning, in the middle of one of the worst deep freezes that we've seen in a long, long time I managed to get this freehand on the long end of a Tamron 70-200 AF lens. By the way the chill factor here this morning was a balmy minus 31 Celsius. In this most unnatural cold even for here, and with the shivering that I had in that kind of cold, the K100D, with shake reduction on, managed to get me this kind of clarity.

Please forgive the wires, but it was just too cold to move around and try to shoot around them. This was actually shot from the walkway in front of the house

One truly impressive camera, though

Cheers

Brian

goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:28 PM   #2

That one is sharp! Nicely done!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3

Nice picture, but all I can say is BURRR! That makes our recent 18 F (-7C) look positively spring-like. It'll be interesting to see if the weather folks are accurate for our area - they are talking about 1-2 feet of snow tomorrow/tomorrow night. I'll believe it when I see it, though it was snowing when we got home tonight. Love this Southern California weather!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4

Its minus 5 and down right balmy here in Germany! Thanks for the post and good work. You are either a dedicated photographer or just plain wacko! I wonder how long the camera would stay functional under those conditions?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:17 AM   #5

goldwing85 wrote:
Quote:
Here's what the moon looks like, shot at 7:30on a very cold wintermorning. The thing I like about this one is the fact that this morning, in the middle of one of the worst deep freezes that we've seen in a long, long time I managed to get this freehand on the long end of a Tamron 70-200 AF lens. By the way the chill factor here this morning was a balmy minus 31 Celsius. In this most unnatural cold even for here, and with the shivering that I had in that kind of cold, the K100D, with shake reduction on, managed to get me this kind of clarity.
I'm sold, that is really sharp, and I know how cold it was.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:42 AM   #6

Hearing about such a cold makes me rethink the latest idea of moving from Rome to New York ( for my wife, and for better future chances for our children ).
I'm used to the worst cold possible around 1-2° celsius. I tried once in New York -20°, was not so nice....
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:53 AM   #7

On a most interesting note, temperatures are much more seasonable here today. The air temperature right now is actually plus 2 Celsius, making for a really nice winter's day.

Somehow the moon wasn't as great this morning, though.

What a difference a day makes........

Cheers

Brian
goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:04 AM   #8

Hey, it is January and it is supposed to be cold.

I was surprised myself of K100D enduring similar temperatures for about 30 mins this Saturday although I was concerned it is going to die once I get it inside. Kinda hoped for it actually: I really want the new K20D:-)

Here is a tip for those tired of this weather: move to Alaska http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4165001

For those from warmer places: don't worry, you will get used with it ... eventually ... some day ... if you are young... On the bright side, imagine moving to Minnesota:-)

As one comedian said, we should build a wall at the northern border: there is where the cold air is coming from:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote