Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:56 PM   #21

Now, this forum will have new threads every day to help people dream on for a K20D i guess. It was a bit monotonous till date without any talk about a new model from Pentax.

Since they have a new standard sized sensor. Would that mean that K10D specific (ie., the DA*) lenses cannot be used on the K20D?
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:01 AM   #22

no_nonsense4857 wrote:
Quote:
Since they have a new standard sized sensor. Would that mean that K10D specific (ie., the DA*) lenses cannot be used on the K20D?
It isn't using a new standard size. It's still APS-C. Therefore, all Pentax lenses will still work with it, minus the usual restrictions on older lens functionality.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:07 AM   #23

14 Mega Pixels when the competition is still somewhere near 12?

The moment i read 14 odd MP, i thought......... standard size.

Will have to patiently wait for the first pics to see what happens to noise? Was there any reason to increase from the existing 10 odd MP?

Instead they could have worked on the mechanicals and gifted us with a higher fps burst mode. That would have definitely made it a unique Pentax K20D feature.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:55 AM   #24

The use of a CCD vs. CMOS sensor is a big change. Noise levels between the two are considerably less with a CMOS sensor. The higher iso range with this sensor makes lower light shots possible with less noise. The need for flash or the fact flash is not allowed can make lower light available shots possible. 14.7 megapixels is different from the next progression that other makes have taken to 12 megapixels but why follow the rest. This allows more latitude for those who crop their pictures. Pentax fills in the need for those who want more for their money but has had a bit of a lag in filling the need for longer range lenses. With the five newer lenses coming out it will be interesting to see how available they will be and also the quality of shots taken with them and the Pentax line of dSLR's. The need for full frame would make these newer lenses useless unless they have a camera withthe feature that the Nikon D3 (at $5,000 not for me)has in which it can shoot both crop factor 1.5 (12 mp) and full frame, but at lesser megapixels (5mp).

All the wishes for this and that can be had if you wait for the next generation camera possibly if this one does not give you reason for the upgrade. I find this next generation camera to be something to get excited about but only if it doesn't start coming in at the prices the competition has been going at.

Hopefully, the jpeg processing will be betteras well asthe AWB. Those who shoot RAW wouldn't care much about it but there are those like me that shoot jpeg. I still like my DS over my K100D.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:57 AM   #25

Hi DigitalAddict

Pentax is making the DA 60-250mm lens, it has been pushed back. From what I've read Hoya has something special for this lens. What that something special is is anybody's guess.

Jim
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:21 AM   #26

Is this the same battery grip from the K10D? And the same batteries as well? Why does the k20 get 200 more pics per charge then...better processing or what?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:28 AM   #27

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
Is this the same battery grip from the K10D?* And the same batteries as well?* Why does the k20 get 200 more pics per charge then...better processing or what?
Benjamin Kanarek got to test the K20D, and he said that the K20D accepts the same exact BG2 battery grip as the K10D. In fact, I believe Pentax did not update the battery grip at all for the K20D. The K20D uses the same LI50 battery as well.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:33 PM   #28

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
Why does the k20 get 200 more pics per charge then...better processing or what?
According to "read it somewhere in an official document" (I've done quite some reading on the net since last night) the K20D as well as the K200D has some energy-saving innovations, thus the higher picture count.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:08 PM   #29

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
Is this the same battery grip from the K10D?* And the same batteries as well?* Why does the k20 get 200 more pics per charge then...better processing or what?
Hi FE4,

One of the reasons for lower battery consumption is the CMOS sensor -- this technology is more power efficient than CCD -- another advantage that is associated to this is less heat produced -- which allows the "live view" feature and less heat-induced image noise, especially when shooting bursts. They also downgraded the A/D processor from 22 bit to 14 bit, so there's less processing power used to convert each image.

The battery grip is the same model, so the assumption is that it's the same.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote