Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:01 PM   #11

well the tax man here in the us says we are getting $600/$1200 rebate checks. this is announced the day after pentax says i can get a new k20d for $1199 (body only). kinda ironic don't you think. it's like the tax man is telling me... i want you to buya new camera, lol!!

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:45 PM   #12

ishino wrote:
Quote:
well the tax man here in the us says we are getting $600/$1200 rebate checks. this is announced the day after pentax says i can get a new k20d for $1199 (body only). kinda ironic don't you think. it's like the tax man is telling me... i want you to buya new camera, lol!!

That is not how my wife sees it. She tries to convince me that uncle Sam is a jewlery store owner:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:27 PM   #13

ishino wrote:
Quote:

Uh...sorry, Ishino...but the latest news is $300 per tax-payer (income between $3000 & 75000) & $300 per child (up to 2) so $1200 total for a family of 4 or more. Now, the way I understood it is that this is a rebate. So, when your accountant figures out your taxes next year, whatever rebate that you may get this year will reduce your refund next year. I started to get excited about it too...finally I can afford a K10d & then ...REALITY

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:33 PM   #14

Been reading more on the other forum. Can't see either why people who are so dissappointed put so much energy into bashing a camera they haven't seen or even intended to buy. And what's the point and fun in spending hours on a negative forum feeling lousy with all the others?

If there is any substance in their ranting there will be a lot of fine lenses for us on ebay within days! Maybe I'll get both an F*300 f4.5 and an A*200 f4 Macro for a nickle and a dime.

A lot of them complain about the K20D being just a K10D Super. As I said in the other thread, I see K10D as a Beta version and the K20D as the final product.

So we'll just go on as a happy little crowd here on our friendly little forum.:blah:Thanks all for being such a nice and positive bunch of people!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:36 PM   #15

wadue wrote:
Quote:
ishino wrote:
Quote:

Uh...sorry, Ishino...but the latest news is $300 per tax-payer (income between $3000 & 75000) & $300 per child (up to 2) so $1200 total for a family of 4 or more. Now, the way I understood it is that this is a rebate. So, when your accountant figures out your taxes next year, whatever rebate that you may get this year will reduce your refund next year. I started to get excited about it too...finally I can afford a K10d & then ...REALITY
While the part about counting against you the following year most probably is true, the way it is being reported is that it will be $600 each or $1,200 if filling jointly plus $300 per kid. Those who did not have any reported income will only get $300.
I guess we will need to wait and see.

Anyway, it will be June/July until any checks will be mailed: just in time for the new bodies to become available:-)

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story...159&page=1
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Can't see either why people who are so dissappointed put so much energy into bashing a camera they haven't seen or even intended to buy.
Maybe it'sjust today'spolitics rubbing off - everybody bashes the front runner.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:27 PM   #17

The friendliness and positive attitudes here are no small part of the reason I bought a Pentax in the first place and they have kept me around for a year and a half now. I think the reactions are a typical "fan boy" thing, you see the same thing with fans of bands, computer games, most anything really. The anticipation ramps the expectations up to a level that is completely unreasonable and then when the actual album/game/camera is released and does not meet those expectations it is judged to be utter garbage.

The K10d will have to hold me for awhile, my next investments will be in lenses. The feature set of the K20d certainly sounds appealing though.If the Samsung sensormeasures up it will go a long way in distinguishing Pentax from the rest of the pack.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:08 PM   #18

i'm not bashing the new camera, i'm just not sure if it is going to be my next camera. the most important areas i would have liked to have seen improvements in is not represented in the k20d. until those areas are addressed i don't have a compelling reason to upgrade. with that said ultimately the new sensor is going to be the big selling point of the k20d for many people including myself. if it does deliver, then very well i am going to be tempted to upgrade just like everyone else.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:33 PM   #19

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Been reading more on the other forum. Can't see either why people who are so dissappointed put so much energy into bashing a camera they haven't seen or even intended to buy. And what's the point and fun in spending hours on a negative forum feeling lousy with all the others?*

If there is any substance in their ranting there will be a lot of fine lenses for us on ebay within days! Maybe I'll get both an F*300 f4.5 and an A*200 f4 Macro for a nickle and a dime.

A lot of them complain about the K20D being just a K10D Super. As I said in the other thread, I see K10D as a Beta version and the K20D as the final product.

So we'll just go on as a happy little crowd here on our friendly little forum.:blah:*Thanks all for being such a nice and positive bunch of people!
Hi Kjell,

I've been amusing myself reading those also. I think that there's a whole lot of positive in the new model, but it remains to be seen in real life. One of the problems in the "other forum" is that there's been so much speculation there about "what could be" that anything less than a D3 or 1 D MkIII clone selling for less than $1000 would have to be a letdown.

The one thing that nobody seems to mention is what an "in-house" mfg'd sensor might mean for Pentax/Samsung. If it delivers breakthrough IQ, and the specs show that it's at least unique (with an ISO range of 100-3200 with 6400 available) a lot of the complaints about AF and FPS will fall silent. . . well probably not. . .:-). The sensor is interesting in that they've apparently increased the number of cell sites 40% while keeping the size of the cells about the same as a 10MP APS-C CCD by minimizing the size of the circuitry separating them. If Pentax/Samsung could become the clear leader in sensor technology. . .

The thing is, when you think about it, the K20 seems to be designed to compliment Pentax's strengths. High resolution doesn't count if the focus isn't spot on, and Pentax's AF is accurate, if a bit slow. Pentax's lens lineup currently features probably the best assortment of reasonably affordable wide to short tele primes and zooms around (all, of course stabilized) -- and you need good glass to take advantage of the high res sensor.

Unfortunately the sports and nature shooters get left behind on the feature priority list, especially in the AF and burst speed categories, but without long, fast teles in the warehouse, these market segments aren't drawn to Pentax at this point in time anyway. Adding faster AF and a higher FPS rate would only accentuate the lack of available fast long glass. Even though this kinda includes me, I can't argue with thir decision from a business standpoint. I've done pretty well with Pentax so far, and better IQ is better IQ. Now I'll just have a bit farther to go to start utilizing the camera to its potential. :shock: :-)

There still may be a small surprise when the cameras are actually tested though. In the GX20 specs, they state that the AF range has been expanded on the low side from 0EV to -1EV, so there's a possiblity that the AF system might be capable of better low light performance, even though it's still shown as a SAFOX VIII system. Just my own little bit of speculation, but there's a little hope that the
AF system has been improved. . .maybe. . . otherwise we'll have to wait and see what's in store with the next model.

I'm content to wait for some reviews by both the pros and users before I make any final judgements -- but I'm thinking that I want one. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:48 AM   #20

Ok, folks I am starting to get worried here. With talk of the money back from the US government to get the economy going and the $300.00 per child and all I feel I need to say this. That $300 for each child does not mean if you get the wife or girlfriend drunk and have quadruplets that you get a free Pentax K20D as a babies shower gift! I see a new baby boomer generation coming!

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote