Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

GOLDEN, CO. (January 23, 2008…PENTAX Imaging Company announced today two new digital SLR camera models including the PENTAX K20D digital SLR camera with 14.6 megapixels and the PENTAX K200D digital SLR with 10.2 megapixels. Both cameras are equipped with advanced features including dust-proof and weather-resistant bodies, an improved PRIME image processor, and PENTAX developed Shake Reduction that works with any of the 24 million PENTAX lenses ever manufactured

PENTAX also announced five new lens models all developed specifically for PENTAX digital SLRs bringing the complete line of lenses to 22 current models. Each new lens features a Quick-shift Focus System for instant switching from auto focus to manual and the PENTAX SP coating that protects the exposed lens elements from grease and dust.

All of these latest PENTAX products will be displayed at the PMA 2008 Trade Show from January 31 to February 2 in Las Vegas. The PENTAX K20D (body only) digital SLR model will ship in April 2008 for US $1299.95, while the PENTAX K200D digital SLR will ship in March 2008 for US $799.95 (with new 18-55mm lens). The lens pricing and shipping dates are as follows:
  • smc PENTAX DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM will ship in March 2008 for $1099.95 [/*]
  • smc PENTAX DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM will ship in May 2008 for $1299.95 [/*]
  • smc PENTAX DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED will ship in May 2008 for $399.95 [/*]
  • smc PENTAX DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited will ship in April 2008 for $599.95 [/*]
  • smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II will ship as a kit lens with PENTAX K200D in March 2008 (value $199.95). [/*]
Excerpted from the Pentax Press Release for K20D, K200D, and 5 new lenses - on Steve's Breaking News:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pe...lenses_pr.html



penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

The K20D is very impressive but the K200D is absolutely awesome since it brings a very professional camera at a very good price. Maybe next year...
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:38 PM   #3
TDN
Senior Member
 
TDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,288
Default

With the X-sync socket, and if the sensor is really as good as they say it is, then Pentax finally has something to compete even with the highest APS-C models from the big 2, for professional photographers

The K200D looks ok, but could use a serious price drop to be an alternative to the K10D if you ask me...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,327
Default

Will the K20D have a full frame sensor or one with the usual 1.5 lens conversion factor?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Illuminati's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California, USA
Posts: 583
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Will the K20D have a full frame sensor or one with the usual 1.5 lens conversion factor?
It's an APS-C sensor, so it will have the 1.5x crop factor.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ishino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 661
Default

i don't know... i expected more with all the rumors flying around. would have liked to have seen more auto focus points and faster/predictive auto focus. i rarely shoot above iso 800 now so i'm not so sure i'll use iso 6400. i don't know i'm just not sold on it... yet.

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:40 PM   #7
TDN
Senior Member
 
TDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,288
Default

ishino wrote:
Quote:
i don't know... i expected more with all the rumors flying around. would have liked to have seen more auto focus points and faster/predictive auto focus. i rarely shoot above iso 800 now so i'm not so sure i'll use iso 6400. i don't know i'm just not sold on it... yet.
Well, according to Chris over at pentaxforums, who handled a preproduction model, the AF system is the same, but there is one nice feature:

you can save 20 "lens-profiles" to fine tune focus, to correct back and frontfocusing issues. This way all your lenses become perfectly focused!
(= VERY good news for users of fast lenses, with the thin dof they have. Just calibrate your lens on a steady object and it'll always focus correctly from there on!)
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

I don't really understand the dissappointment that goes around, esp on dpreview. There's a lot of talk about fps and live view and lack of breakthrough technology. The most stupid complaint, IMO is the one about the LCD screen not being big enough.

To me this looks and sounds like the real K10D, and not the beta version. If the reviews don't totally write down picture quality and noise, I'll get one as soon as I simply can.

The specs signal to me that I'll have a usable ISO800, if it's as good as my DS at 1600 I'll be happy, I consider 3200 as an emergency option and 6400 for when those aliens knock on my door at night and ask me to take them to my leader.

They kept the pentaprism. Yeah! In spite of more megapixels it seems as it can handle higher ISO without noise. Yeah! It's not bigger than the K10D, and doesn't weigh more. Yeah! It won't cost over 2000USD. Yeah!

How often did you burst 5 fps with your analog camera with a 3200 ISO film to get A2 printed copies? And got an instant preview copy? With a camera that forgave your having a hangover?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:17 AM   #9
TDN
Senior Member
 
TDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,288
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I don't really understand the dissappointment that goes around, esp on dpreview. There's a lot of talk about fps and live view and lack of breakthrough technology. The most stupid complaint, IMO is the one about the LCD screen not being big enough.

To me this looks and sounds like the real K10D, and not the beta version. If the reviews don't totally write down picture quality and noise, I'll get one as soon as I simply can.

The specs signal to me that I'll have a usable ISO800, if it's as good as my DS at 1600 I'll be happy, I consider 3200 as an emergency option and 6400 for when those aliens knock on my door at night and ask me to take them to my leader.

They kept the pentaprism. Yeah! In spite of more megapixels it seems as it can handle higher ISO without noise. Yeah! It's not bigger than the K10D, and doesn't weigh more. Yeah! It won't cost over 2000USD. Yeah!

How often did you burst 5 fps with your analog camera with a 3200 ISO film to get A2 printed copies? And got an instant preview copy? With a camera that forgave your having a hangover?

Kjell
Indeed. Right on, Kjell

I'll be getting one as soon as I can come up with the cash. With my *ist DL as a backup, I'll have a reliable combo to use at concerts, and a high-grade tool for portraits.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 373
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I don't really understand the dissappointment that goes around, esp on dpreview. There's a lot of talk about fps and live view and lack of breakthrough technology. The most stupid complaint, IMO is the one about the LCD screen not being big enough.

To me this looks and sounds like the real K10D, and not the beta version. If the reviews don't totally write down picture quality and noise, I'll get one as soon as I simply can.

The specs signal to me that I'll have a usable ISO800, if it's as good as my DS at 1600 I'll be happy, I consider 3200 as an emergency option and 6400 for when those aliens knock on my door at night and ask me to take them to my leader.

They kept the pentaprism. Yeah! In spite of more megapixels it seems as it can handle higher ISO without noise. Yeah! It's not bigger than the K10D, and doesn't weigh more. Yeah! It won't cost over 2000USD. Yeah!

How often did you burst 5 fps with your analog camera with a 3200 ISO film to get A2 printed copies? And got an instant preview copy? With a camera that forgave your having a hangover?

Kjell
Good points.

One thing about fps: 3 fps is not enough for fast action such as soccer especially when the AF is slow. I tried that with my poor K100D and you don't want to know what came out of my mouth:-) 99% of the time I don't need it but when I do I really miss it.

I tried a couple of times soccer indoors with fast moving 5 years olds running like there was no tomorrow. Bumped the ISO to 800 and 1600, used DA 70mm F2.4 when possible (DA 50-200mm a lot of times) and all I got was a bunch of unusable shots. More fps with a 70-200mm F2.8 would have been much better, I guess.


DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.