Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   POPphoto's first look K20D (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/135804-popphotos-first-look-k20d.html)

2many Jan 23, 2008 5:27 PM

Here you go, in english

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5049...ntax-k20d.html

wadue Jan 23, 2008 5:34 PM

What??? A PopPhoto article that is complimentaryof Pentax??? I'm sorry but thePentax compliments are rather few & far between. As much as I enjoy looking at thepictures in their magazine, thisyear will be the last for my subscription. Itjust never seems like they ever talk about anything that isn't Canon or Nikon.

2many Jan 23, 2008 5:36 PM

thats why I only subscribe to their free weekly update email.

lesmore49 Jan 23, 2008 6:11 PM

I think that Pentax's new K20D and the lenses show that Pentax is on their way. I just bought a Pentax K10D, battery grip and 16-45 zoom. Very happy with them.

2many Jan 23, 2008 6:27 PM

Yes I am very happy with my K10, I cannot justify the higher priced 20D today, but maybe tomorrow.

TDN Jan 23, 2008 6:48 PM

That ISO 1600 looks really good!

Together with the wheather sealing this one will be great for concerts!

Illuminati Jan 23, 2008 7:06 PM

From the article:
Quote:

First, it would be great to see a pixel-shedding ultra-high speed burst rate. We'd be willing to trade about half the resolution for a doubled six-frame per second high-speed burst mode for peak action of birds in flight, and rodeos, and surfing, and snowboarding, and gymastics, and softball, and soccer, and football, or a rhino charging our Land Rover. We'll wager this is a mechanical issue which can't be addressed in the K20D.
I think they may have overlooked one of the specs of the K20D. From Pentax's specification site:
Quote:

Mode selection - Single, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Burst (1.6M, JPG), Self-Timer (12s, 2s), Remote (0s, 3s), Remote Continuous, Auto Bracket, Extended Bracket, Multi-Exposure, Interval; Continuous FPS - * 3.0 FPS (38 JPG and Continuous Hi, 14 RAW PEF, 16 RAW DNG), * 2.3 FPS (unlimited JPG and Continuous Lo, 14 RAW PEF, 16 RAW DNG), * 20 FPS in Burst mode (115 at 1.6M, ***, JPG); Self-timer - YES (12s, 2s); Remote control - YES, infrared (0s, 3s, continuous) and cable switch supported
Someone should send Pop Photo a correction letter...

- Jason

Robert Barnett Jan 23, 2008 8:40 PM

Ah, crap. I didn't think Pentax could make me want the K20D, but from looking at the stuff on DPReview and on the Pop Photo Site, especially the high ISO shots. The higher resolution (more crop room), better SR, better dust removal and more. I can see my credit card is going to get swiped.

I have to give Pentax credit. They may have low marketshare but there are more innovative than Canon and Nikon combined.

Robert

danielchtong Jan 23, 2008 9:15 PM

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:

From the article:
Quote:

First, it would be great to see a pixel-shedding ultra-high speed burst rate. We'd be willing to trade about half the resolution for a doubled six-frame per second high-speed burst mode for peak action of birds in flight, and rodeos, and surfing, and snowboarding, and gymastics, and softball, and soccer, and football, or a rhino charging our Land Rover. We'll wager this is a mechanical issue which can't be addressed in the K20D.
I think they may have overlooked one of the specs of the K20D. From Pentax's specification site:
Quote:

Mode selection - Single, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Burst (1.6M, JPG), Self-Timer (12s, 2s), Remote (0s, 3s), Remote Continuous, Auto Bracket, Extended Bracket, Multi-Exposure, Interval; Continuous FPS - * 3.0 FPS (38 JPG and Continuous Hi, 14 RAW PEF, 16 RAW DNG), * 2.3 FPS (unlimited JPG and Continuous Lo, 14 RAW PEF, 16 RAW DNG), * 20 FPS in Burst mode (115 at 1.6M, ***, JPG); Self-timer - YES (12s, 2s); Remote control - YES, infrared (0s, 3s, continuous) and cable switch supported
Someone should send Pop Photo a correction letter...

- Jason
Jason

Pop Photo speculation may be right. Canon Mk3 has the mechanical issue (re recall) of overheating in that area. The 20 FPS in Pentax data is not actually FPS in the full sense. There is mirror lock up and no AF at all. Basically the AF performance has not improved over that of K10D & K100D.

Daniel , Toronto

Robert Barnett Jan 24, 2008 10:16 AM

I haven't seen any mention of an ETA for the 20D?

Robert