Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:08 PM   #11

2many wrote:
Quote:
Wow that looks so cool,* what is that white stuff?
If this picture was taken in the downtown LA area, it's probably crack cocaine.
:-)

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:30 AM   #12

Tom - Jeeps only go where the highway patrol or the cars in front of you go. Wednesday night we would have been able to get home, but there were big-rigs stuck all over the freeway. There was a row of cars creeping along what I think was the shoulder (there was several inches of snow so you couldn't tell if it were a lane or the shoulder), but I got worried about the minivan in front of us that kept losing traction and slipping (the driver actually did a good job controlling it). It would have only taken one car getting stuck for us to end up spending the night on the freeway (yuck). Yesterday they had all roads coming up here closed, though one of the roads wasn't marked very clearly, and the road was fine (at least when we went through). The side roads were actually in pretty good shape, better than what I could see of the freeway (we briefly paralleled it toward the top).

Jason - LOL! Glad I'm up here in the beautiful snow, instead of down in L.A. where it looks really wet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:29 AM   #13

For once I don't suffer from weather envy!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:55 AM   #14

Looks like you were in Chama. Good luck and be carefull.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:21 PM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Jason - LOL! Glad I'm up here in the beautiful snow, instead of down in L.A. where it looks really wet.
It's wet down here, all right. You highlanders had better lay in a few days supplies up there- this weekend promises to be brutal, if the forecasts pan out.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:03 PM   #16

I've posted a couple of pictures under a different thread, showing off the K10/DA*50-135 weatherproofing. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80if you are interested.

Penolta - the storm is either just sitting around, or there's more than one. It very briefly stopped, but it's been either snowing or mixed rain and snow all day (it warmed up a bit). We have a full freezer and ventured down to the local mini-mart this morning for milk - we'll be fine. Only problem is that we are out of coffee and I don't really feel enthusiastic enough to go into town for a pound. I heard they re-opened the I-5, but who knows how long that will last. Its unusual for us to have a multi-day snow event like this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:47 PM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Penolta - the storm is either just sitting around, or there's more than one.

There is more than one. The current storm is moving out. The second and more powerful one is due late tomorrow through Sunday. This one is warmer with more rain, and is expected to wash away the snow, at least at all but the highestaltitudes. If the forecasts are correct, you (on the upslope areas) are expected to get at least 4 - 5 " of rain overnight! Take your snow pictures while you can, then you can trade in your snowshoes for swim fins and give the weather seals a real test.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Only problem is that we are out of coffee
Now this is major cause for concern, even here where we dont get snow, but we do have storms that sometimes limit our travel. It is why I order my coffee by the case from Costa Rica, and have a small alcohol stove and a supply of fuel on hand at all times. I sure do hope you can bum a cup off your neighbors.

Terry

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:58 AM   #19

More snow, less lens. This was shot on RAW with a 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 FA lens this morning through my back door. It was -19 Celsius when the shot was taken (that is about -2 F).

Here is that camera and lens with the morning coffee:

Ira

BTW, last night's storm missed us.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:09 AM   #20

Strange how the weather works in different parts of the country.

When I was in San Francisco the police closed all side roads because of frost during the evening because the California drivers couldn't seem to slow down due to road conditions.

On the other side, here in WI we had a snow day (my wife teaches High School) so we decided to go out for lunch to a place about ten miles away. Got into the Xterra with extremely aggressive snow tires and set off down the main highway. We were pushing snow with the front bumper some of the way, but the Xterra didn't complain so we pushed on. About a mile from our destination (we could see it) a police officer on a snowmobile stopped us and told us they were closing the road and we would have to either stay at the restaurant for an undetermined amount of time or go back.

We turned around and drove back almost ten miles and ate at home. At least we had fun!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote