Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:36 PM   #21

I don't think Californians are all that sensible when it comes to snow or rain. We don't get much practice, since it doesn't rain or snow all that much. Those of us mountain dwellers don't have trouble with snow (except for shoveling it, perhaps).

Today the sun came out and brightened up the area. All the "flatlanders" decided to come up and play in the snow, while those of us up here were still trying to dig out our driveways and venture into town for some supplies. Unfortunately, often those visitors leave their good sense at home - they park on the two lane main road, clogging it up and making it very difficult for anyone to get anywhere. Some don't seem to be aware that there are thousands who live up here and the road they are blocking is the only road into or out of the area.

I really shouldn't complain, when I live around places like this (taken with the K10 and the A*300).

P.S. - We managed to get some coffee, so all is well in the world.

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:52 PM   #22

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
More snow,* less lens.* This was shot on RAW with a 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 FA lens this morning through my back door.* It was -19 Celsius when the shot was taken (that is about -2 F).

Here is that camera and lens with the morning coffee:

Ira
Ira,

I can see that even your camera needs to be warmed up with a toaster.
The last mayor of Toronto, while having a snow storm of couple of inches, asked for Canadian army for help. There was an uproar from all the northern provinces. I could see that Torontonians were the laughing stock

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:47 AM   #23

Harriet, that is one great place to live!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #24

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
More snow, less lens. This was shot on RAW with a 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 FA lens this morning through my back door. It was -19 Celsius when the shot was taken (that is about -2 F).

I really like the composition on this one; and you nailed the exposure!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:39 PM   #25

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I really like the composition on this one; and you nailed the exposure!

Jay
Thanks, I have started shooting in RAW now that I have a new computer. The result is that I can now fine tune images with difficult exposure problems, like this one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:59 PM   #26

I like your picture, too, Ira. I know you've used jpg for a long time - now that you are using raw, do you find that the camera captures more information? I find that there seems to me more information in both the highlights and the shadows that can be brought out with software, but thought this might be just my wishful thinking, since I use raw most of the time.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:10 PM   #27

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I like your picture, too, Ira. I know you've used jpg for a long time - now that you are using raw, do you find that the camera captures more information? I find that there seems to me more information in both the highlights and the shadows that can be brought out with software, but thought this might be just my wishful thinking, since I use raw most of the time.
Harriet

I am still relatively new to RAW since I have only had the new computer since Christmas (Dual Core 1.6GHz with 2GB of RAM, still using XP but I have no need to upgrade operating systems). I shot very little RAW in the past due to the processing time involved on my old computer, now it is very quick. From what I have seen so far there is far more adjustment available in PEF files, all that extra size over jpeg files is useful information. I will still shoot mostly jpeg but RAW is becoming a much bigger part of my workflow. One image in particular impressed me, it was very dark yet there was lots of shadow detail after processing.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:02 AM   #28

mtngal,

I saw this post last week and it reminded me of a shot I took around the same time. I'm on the other side of the Cajon Pass from you - in Wrightwood.

This is Wright Mountain from our driveway with my K10D and Sigma APO DG 70-300 January 8th.

PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:22 AM   #29

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Today the sun came out and brightened up the area. All the "flatlanders" decided to come up and play in the snow, while those of us up here were still trying to dig out our driveways and venture into town for some supplies. Unfortunately, often those visitors leave their good sense at home - they park on the two lane main road, clogging it up and making it very difficult for anyone to get anywhere. Some don't seem to be aware that there are thousands who live up here and the road they are blocking is the only road into or out of the area.
We have much the same problem that you have with the "flatlanders" coming up to play in the snow. It's really a nightmare for us locals......

PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:17 PM   #30

You actually have bigger crowds and more problemsbecause you have a downhill ski lift. We have snow but no lifts - so there's probably fewer people coming up here. On the other hand, we also don't have as many places to park, either.

I love your first one - very beautiful. Your second one makes me glad I leave around Frazier Park, rather than Wrightwood!