Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1

I have been looking at upgrading my tripod this yearto one that can get down low and is very lightweight and compactfor backpacking. I have run across one made by Slik and wonder if anyone has any input on it or one like it? It gets down to about 6.5" for macro work and only weighs 26 ounces. Notice how the legs fold out. You can also reverse the center post. Both B&H and Adorama carry this one.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss3.html

Another thing that I thought I could do was remove the ball head and screw my monopod on it (foot screws off), then put the ballhead on the monopod if I needed more height - Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:25 AM   #2

bruce,
it may suit your needs but it only supports 3.5 pounds.. that's next to nothing.. also i can't see why you would to mount a monopod on it.. purpose of a tripod is 3 feet to give a steady platform. even extending the center column defeats the purpose. if you're looking for something to use while shooting macros get a grip and a 1/2'', 12mm rod about 5-6' long and hold it and the cam in your left hand. you'll be surprised at how well this works.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:51 AM   #3

Good points Roy. The monopod thing is something I would try only out of desperation to get more height if I needed it. It may not work very well.

As a side note, Slik also makes a mini-tripod that among other things has a suction cup on the bottom of the center column that you can put on a flat surface like a window. Now image sticking this on the side of a window with a 31 limited onyour brand newcamera and the suction cup runs out of suction, @#%$& - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:55 AM   #4

yeah,
i think i'll pass on the suction cup too.
there are mounts made for the window.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5

bper wrote:
Quote:
Good points Roy. The monopod thing is something I would try only out of desperation to get more height if I needed it. It may not work very well.

As a side note, Slik also makes a mini-tripod that among other things has a suction cup on the bottom of the center column that you can put on a flat surface like a window. Now image sticking this on the side of a window with a 31 limited onyour brand newcamera and the suction cup runs out of suction, @#%$& - Bruce

i've got that silk mini-pod. no way would i trust the suction cup to support my camera vertically. but the suction cup works good when you are using it on a slick surface, like a glass table top and it prevents the mini-pod from slipping around from any slight movement. it also helps give it some stability from not tipping over, but not much. i can mount my da* 50-135 on it and it doesn't tip over, but my bigma... well that's another story.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:27 PM   #6

Hi Bruce,

I'd try Roy's method -- and if you want something that stores easily, is light, and has triple use as a walking stick, monopod, and shaft support for macros, this might be something to consider:

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....104,53221&ap=3

This next item probably is not where you want to go as it's relatively big, heavy, and pretty expensive, but the gold standard in adjustable positioning tripods is probably the UniLoc System 1700.

Here's a review from another forum (and non-Pentax user) but all that's not relevant. . .

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11688125

I was able to win a set of these legs on ebay for $112 -- there weren't too many bidders, so I imagine that a lot of folks don't even know they exist. . .

Setting up this tripod has been described as wrestling with and octopus that's holding a bagpipe -- but it's not really that bad. . . once you get used to it, that is. :-)
The really cool thing is that there virtually aren't any limits to the angles and positions for each of the legs and the center post.

Whatever you choose for a tripod, I'd advise you to get a very good head. I'd take a very serious look at the Amvona ATH-A01, A02 or A03, and bid on one of the NR auctions as opposed to taking one of the BIN options. I got an A02 for around $15 +shipping, IIRC, and that's almost criminal for a head with these features and quality. Comparable American or European mfg heads would cost at least $200-300, and the Amvonas use a "universal" Arca-Swiss compatible clamp and plates (if you remove the safety pin) -- not the fastest QR system, but probably the most secure.

The thing about these heads is that they have three control knobs so you can adjust the unlocked tension independently of the ball lock and head pan lock. It can be set up so you can easily make fine adjustments with just a bit of friction on the ball, then lock the ball without the camera moving -- much harder to do with a one or two knob ballhead.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote