Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:50 PM   #11

Not unless there's something wrong with the frame that holds the focusing screen. I've had mine out a couple of times and it fits in snugly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:00 AM   #12

Thanks all !!!

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
Just a thought.
Could it be possible that the focus screen is shifted and the auto focus point is actually centered? Does the center of the focus screen appear to be centered in the viewfinder?

Still, if you just got it last week, I'd look at getting it exchanged.

RedStickMan, yes, it looked perfectly center. But...

I've had things to do today so didn't have time to return it.I still had the camera socuriously I did some further check. I had the camera on tripod andaimed ata metric ruler with milimeter marks to check (I've attached 2 pics).

In this picture, I moved and adjusted to have the leftmost bracket right on the line at "6"cm, the rightmost bracket right on line at "14"cm; so the center must be right at 10cm. With focus ring at SELECT, the Center Focus Point always was at 1.5mm on the left of "10" (center); the Leftmost Focus Point was at "6" + 1mm; the Rightmost Focus Point was at "14" - 4mm.

On the other hand, when you look at both sides of thepicture, you'll see there's 1mm more on the left than the right.

Anyhow, I'll have it exchanged.

Attached Images

Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:17 AM   #13

One more picture with different lens. Left most bracket exactly at "5" and right most bracket at "15".

After looked at these 2 pictures, my first though was the focus screen was shifted (as RedStickMan said) but why it looked perfectly in the view finder (when I did the checking)? May be something else?

I will have my exchanged anyhow but I want to bring it up so some K10D new owners may aware of.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:28 AM   #14

This is the picture it took, I think the focus was right on (I might be wrong)(newbie eyes).
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:01 AM   #15

Very interesting. Thanks for the ruler example and explanation I now know what you have done to check things, and what your concern is. Your bird looks very much in focus.

What I wonder about is whether your indicator is the same as the actualfocus point. It would be annoying if the actual point were really centered on your focus screen, but the indicator were off, but I could get used to ignoring it. If the actual focus point were as off as the indicator, that would be a real problem to me. Did you try to takea picture of your ruler at an angle, tocheck where the actualcenter focus point actually is? I'm curious, but since you still have the option of returning the camera, it sounds like that's your best option, regardless.

Let us know how it goes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:52 AM   #16

Hi Mtngal,

I did not take the picture at an angle.

With the ruler in front of the camera, in the view finder, the indicator looked right on but the focus points wereall off to the left, but when the picture came out, it showed that the indicator off to the right. So the whole framein the view finder is off to the right, the focus points are right on. I dont't know:?.

I's going to go back tomorrow anyway. I've tried to ignore itbut I couldn't. Instead I felt more anoying when looked at it,I felt like my eyes crooked also. :?

Thanks for your concerning.

Ken