Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:05 PM   #11

I started the year already with k10d, FA 50mm, 18-55, 50-200 and flash metz 48AF.

So far I think my 2008 will be enought with maybe just a manual portrait lens ( jupiter 85mm or pentacon 125mm ).

If work goes really well, I may decide to do the big expense on the DA* 50-135 and the Tamron 17-50 ( when it's announced ). Not so probable.

I will not upgrade the camera, I just got the k10d and so far I'm completeley impressed, and I think it will take at least 1 year to learn it. Than I'll get the k20d, maybe by that time it will be 600$ too
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:37 PM   #12

Hi superakuma,

With the new year -- a new toy budget!

Since I pretty much have the accessories and (actually more) lenses than I "need" -- there still is a short list tho, of lenses that I'd like to get -- I have room in the budget for a new body. Luckily, I'm single, and tho on a fixed income, I can (and do!:-) ) allow some considerable resources to my main pastime, which is photography.

I'm in no hurry, so I'll reserve final judgement, but if the K20 delivers the IQ that seems to be promised, it'll be tough for me to pass.

For me, the high sensitivity performance is the most important thing -- I rely on long lenses with TCs a lot, so max apertures get small and camera shake becomes a major concern so good high ISO IQ makes a lot of things easier -- combine that with improved SR performance because of the lighter sensor, and it should be a treat.

The second and third improvements that matter to me are the auto focus fine tune presets since I have a couple of lenses that underperform because of AF issues, and improved jpeg processing, because I mostly shoot jpegs. I really doubt that the latter will be a vast improvement over what I'm getting with the K10, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I'm thinking that I also need to upgrade my computer (currently running an Athlon 2800+ and 2 gigs memory with a total of about 1.5 TB storage), so some of the gadget budget will be swallowed by that. The relatively recent moves away from EIDE to SATA for storage and from AGP to PCI Express for video will force me to buy more hardware than previous upgrades, but luckily, big hard drives have gotten surprisingly cheap (or I can buy an EIDE card for an additional interface), and I don't need a leading edge video card, so it won't be that expensive. I just hate to replace something that works well just because it no longer represents the "leading edge". . . at least in computer gear. . . :-).

This year, hopefully, I'll be able to take advantage of what I learned last season and get better shots of a greater variety of bird species from more locations, especially during the spring migration. I also plan on working on my macro technique, and will start doing more critter shooting. I'd also like to get better at seeing in a wide angle perspective -- I've got appropriate glass, I've got to learn to actually look st things from that perspective so I can take better advantage of it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:06 PM   #13

At this time I'm not planning on upgrading my K10 to the K20, however, should it go out, the K20 would be the replacement. (Predicted shutter life is about 100 K clicks; I've taken right about 50 K.) With technology in general, my pattern has been to buy quaility, then skip a generation on upgrading. Thus, for pure upgrading, I would probably wait on the K20's replacement in a couple of years.

I'm just about tapped out on lens budget, having bought the DA*50-135 a couple of months ago, and having ordered the Tamron 70-200 Di LD f2.8. Hopefully, by the last quarter of the year, I'll have enough built back up to afford the Bigma.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:14 PM   #14

When I bought my DS two years ago, it was my first AF camera. This was less than a year after I upgraded from a Program A/ProgramPlusto a Super A/SuperProgrambody with Av and TTL flash! And my experience with fast film was pushing the T-Max to 800.

So I still don't trust AF and I'm ever amazed about shooting at high ISO settings. Maybe that's why I simply don't understand the ranting about fps and AF accuracy. Was there ever such a thing as reliable AF? I would have been enthusiastic about the K10D hadn't it been my total satisfaction with the DS (and slight dissapointment of poor high ISO performance). The progress from a Super A body to a K20D in just two years is, simply put, huge. And as I see the body as an accessory to the lenses, Pentax still is #1 to me. (would be too expensive to take another stand, considering my present lens lineup). I hope for the future we get back to some sort of slowdown, where a new body will last for more than a year. The LX was only changed slightly during it's 20 years in the front line of pro cameras.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:18 PM   #15

I dont really need any more camera equipment, A nice Zeiss 85mm Spotting scope and camera mount is on order though.

Other than that, I am really happy with my present equipment. I do need a window mount so I can mount the K10 on my car window, Have looked at a lot and havent seen one I like yet.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:21 PM   #16

Let's see, Dec 2005, Annette gives me a *istDL. Autumn 2006, I buy a *istDS from a very nice lady in California. Dec 2007, I give Annette a K100D Super for Christmas. It will be quite some time before I upgrade, but to be honest I think I would prefer the K200D.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:25 PM   #17

I'm going to upgrade to the K20D as soon as I can afford it. I'm starting to hit the limits of the K100D's technical abilities (small buffer, no wireless P-TTL, etc) and am getting into more situations that would necessitate a weather-proof camera (shooting at Mavericks convinced me of that idea). I could settle on the K10D, but I'd rather bite the bullet and get the latest and greatest to last me a while.

I probably won't be one of the firsts to buy the camera though. I'm gonna have to sell my beloved 400mm f/5.6 lens along with my K100D and kit lens to have almost enough to afford it. But I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Eventually, I hope to also start replacing my existing kit with DA* equivalents, starting with the 16-50. That won't happen for a while though.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:33 PM   #18

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
Eventually, I hope to also start replacing my existing kit with DA* equivalents, starting with the 16-50. That won't happen for a while though.
I might be a bit conservative here, but I'd be very cautious about exchanging older lenses for newer. New isn't always better, you know. The older HQ Pentax lenses seems to hold value in any respect of the word.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:08 PM   #19

I think of concentrating on improving myself rather than upgrading the cameraat least for the next two yearsandavoid consumingtemptations distracting from creativity Ihave the K10D which Ienjoy holding and shooting with!Thus, it would be wiser for meto buy a 10-20 or 12-24 lens and a fewlegendaryprimes in addition to my 17-70mm.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:21 PM   #20

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to upgrade to the K20D as soon as I can afford it. I'm starting to hit the limits of the K100D's technical abilities (small buffer, no wireless P-TTL, etc) and am getting into more situations that would necessitate a weather-proof camera (shooting at Mavericks convinced me of that idea). I could settle on the K10D, but I'd rather bite the bullet and get the latest and greatest to last me a while.

I probably won't be one of the firsts to buy the camera though. I'm gonna have to sell my beloved 400mm f/5.6 lens along with my K100D and kit lens to have almost enough to afford it. But I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

- Jason
I am in the same boat as you just that you explained it better then I did. But one thing that I would never do is sell off my gear to get new one. I have a bunch of really nice prime manual focus lens that I can sell off but I want to keep them. In a way you can say I am a collector.

snowstorm, I am glad that you mentioned replacing the computer because many photographer don't count that as part of there cost. Even though hard drive and memory is getting cheaper, it can still cost a lot if you want to run a high end system. With me, I don't really count my computer as part of the cost because I use the computer for other things too like gaming, video editing and photoshop. Being a "computer geek" I ususally have the lastest gear and spend a lot of money on the computer itself. In fact, I just added 2GB of RAM to my computer so I have 4GB total. Did I need it? No, but I couldn't pass up the deal that they had at frys. This was the same RAM that I bought about a year ago for $200 after a $40 rebate. Now it only cost me $30 after the $50 rebate.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote