Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:55 PM   #21
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
When I bought my DS two years ago, it was my first AF camera. This was less than a year after I upgraded from a Program A/ProgramPlusto a Super A/SuperProgrambody with Av and TTL flash! And my experience with fast film was pushing the T-Max to 800.

So I still don't trust AF and I'm ever amazed about shooting at high ISO settings. Maybe that's why I simply don't understand the ranting about fps and AF accuracy. Was there ever such a thing as reliable AF? I would have been enthusiastic about the K10D hadn't it been my total satisfaction with the DS (and slight dissapointment of poor high ISO performance). The progress from a Super A body to a K20D in just two years is, simply put, huge. And as I see the body as an accessory to the lenses, Pentax still is #1 to me. (would be too expensive to take another stand, considering my present lens lineup). I hope for the future we get back to some sort of slowdown, where a new body will last for more than a year. The LX was only changed slightly during it's 20 years in the front line of pro cameras.

Kjell
Amen Kjell.

Heck, I've never shot film and I like MF better than AF. Don't you just hate it when that thing locks on to the wrong subject? If you want something done well, do it yourself

Some of those guys on the other forums rant about fps and AF so much they don't have any time left to take pictures...

I hear you about the LX. If Pentax ever comes up with something that revolutionary and such a display of quality again, they'll dominate the pro market in no time. Too bad the digital slr business has become a little more complex than that

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:55 PM   #22

I'm not planning on converting my entire collection to the DA*. Replacing the 18-55 II with the 16-50 might be the only thing I will do, as the Sigma 70-300 DG APO is working out just fine for me. If someone donates a DA* 60-250 to me though, I won't complain. I am going to sell my 400mm f/5.6 lens soon to make money for the K20D, but I would love to get a DA* 300mm at some point in my life. The only other lens I have left is the smc-Pentax K 50mm f/1.4, which I'd probably just replace with the FA 50mm.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:01 PM   #23
TDN

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I am going to sell my 400mm f/5.6 lens soon to make money for the K20D,
Hey jason, is that the vivitar? How did that one turn out to be? If you sell it, let me know how much it brings on the bay, then I can put mine up there after yours

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:22 PM   #24

I love my DS over my K100D. In fact, I am selling the K100D and the Promaster 7500 DX flash unit. I am not a raw shooter and find the jpegs from the DS to be much better than the K100D.

The CMOS sensor and extra megapixels of the K20D has my interest over the K10D. High iso performance will be the make or break part of my deciding to think of upgrading with Pentax. Most likely I won't upgrade anything this year.

At the present moment though I had a fall down the basement stairs and tore my biceps from my radial tuberosity. I will undergo the knife the 30th of Janunary (Wednesday) and will have it reattached. If all goes well I will rehab for three months and will be able to return to work.

In the meantime, I may get some shutter time I otherwise would not have time for.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:25 PM   #25

As much as i would love to upgrade, its not in the cards For a While. I have the DS and the K100D and they are working Fine.
Like Several Other's have mentioned, life is getting In the way. I Need a New car and my computer Is in need of replacement. College Costs are looming on the horizon.
SO I Must make Do with what I have.

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:29 PM   #26

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Hey jason, is that the vivitar? How did that one turn out to be? If you sell it, let me know how much it brings on the bay, then I can put mine up there after yours

Tom

Nope, it's a Tokina AT-X. It's a great lens, but now that I'm moving away from the beaches, I won't need such a long lens. I've been watching similar lenses go for outrageous prices; amazing what demand can do to a price

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:53 PM   #27

I didn't think when talk of the K20D started to circulate a few months ago that Pentax could do anything that would make an upgrade from the K10D worth the cost. However, I was wrong. If the high ISO/Noise ends up as the sample shots currently show then I will be upgrading. The higher resolution is a meaningful amount that will not only make extreme cropping easier while maintaining enough image data to do nice prints but a 4.5MP increase will also mean more image details.

The improved shake reduction, and other smaller but impressive features including improvements to the dust reduction system make it a compelling update at least for me.

However, I will probably wait a few months after it ships. Both to save up money and to with luck get it a little cheaper. But, it will happen.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:03 AM   #28

I expect I will get a K20D, but will keep my DS as it is the most reliable DSLR I have had so far and it is TTL.

I need to see some results from the K20D first though and I don't want to get one of the first ones out like I did with the K10D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:06 AM   #29

I'll be keeping the K100 and hoping for some additional talent to arrive. On the body side, I'am going to sit this upgrade cycle out - and depending on how my abilities progress, maybe the next cycle. I still have a lot of capability left with the K100 - there are things I would like to change about it, however nothing compelling. However, I would like to put any additional funds into a couple of lens.

with that note - on the lens front - I have been looking at the 12-24, and since they did not add anything on the really wide angle end, I'll go ahead and order the 12-24 and see what I can do with that.

I picked up a FAJ 75-300 really as a stop gap, that I would like to replace with something - what I am not really sure of. The 50-300 maybe - but I'll let others test the waters here - first. I am content to follow on the tele end.

I was in San Diego this week, and did manage to take a few shots between rain squalls rolling through. I have to look at what I took and see how good (or how bad) they turned out Unfortunately, I was so busy with work - and the basement had no windows. The few times that I was out and driving to other meetings, I did not have a chance to take a number of shots when opportunities were presented - just no time.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:33 AM   #30

At the present moment though I had a fall down the basement stairs and tore my biceps from my radial tuberosity. I will undergo the knife the 30th of Janunary (Wednesday) and will have it reattached. If all goes well I will rehab for three months and will be able to return to work.

:shock:

OOOuch hope the op goes well, take care!

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote