Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:12 PM   #1

My local used camera shop has always had a sparse collection of Pentax lenses and accessories in its used equipment window. Usually there are basic lenses there, older flashes, and old film bodies, so I usually stop by every once in a while to window shop.

For as long as I could remember, there was this cable on display that I never found a need for. It was some flash extension cord. I never minded it, as I was looking at the lenses available for my camera. Well, recently I just got my Metz 48 AF-1 flashgun, and was disappointed that I would have to shoot with the flash only on the hotshoe, as it had no optical slave mode and my K100D did not support wireless P-TTL. I did some hunting online, and found that one could use a Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter FG, Hot Shoe Adapter F, and a F5P cable to allow wired off-shoe P-TTL flash usage. However, these products were pricey ($42.95, $35.95, and $24.95 respectively). So, I gave up hope of using this flash off-shoe...that is until I stopped by the camera shop yesterday.

Doing my usual window shopping, I took a good look at the cord in the used Pentax shelf. One end of the cord looked like it had the Hot Shoe Adapter FG on it, and it had the right pin layout. I went back home to make sure I was recognizing the right adapters, and sure enough, I did see the FG adapter! So the next day, I went back to the camera shop and asked to see the cable. Sure enough, there was the Hot Shoe FG adapter, 3' F5P cable, and Off Camera Shoe F adapter. Tried the cable with my camera and flash that I brought along, and it worked like a charm, P-TTL and all. I bought the cable immediately after.

How much did I pay for the set, a $103.85 value at B&H? $29.99!

Is this a deal? Or is it a steal? :lol:

I'm happy that I finally bought something Pentax-related from that shop. It's nice seeing more lenses showing up on the used window as well.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:20 PM   #2

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
Is this a deal? Or is it a steal? :lol:
A steal is a criminal offence. A find is a pleasure. You found this! Enjoy! (And post sample pics)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:44 PM   #3

Hi Jason,

I bought a used set from KEH last year for @ $50 and was very happy to get it. I'd say that you did well. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:03 PM   #4
TDN

Hehe, that's always fun

Congrats on the find Jason!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:35 PM   #5

A used camera store in SLO? Hmmm - might be a place to visit in the spring (or at least after the snow melts) when I have a taste for clam chowder...

Well done!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:02 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
A used camera store in SLO?* Hmmm - might be a place to visit in the spring (or at least after the snow melts) when I have a taste for clam chowder...

Well done!
Not just one, but two used camera stores that have some Pentax stuff! Photo 101 is where I got my smc-Pentax K 50mm f/1.4; they have lots of older screw-mount and K/M lenses. Jim's Campus Camera is where I found the flash cable; this store also seems to have more used AF lenses.

- Jason
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:07 PM   #7

jason,
YOU DOG!!!!!
not really. i tried for months to get these from eekbay for the 3 parts needed.. no luck, always lost by pennies, so when a 3m, 9' cord and fittings came up for BIN for $45+ship=$50 i scooped it up. best money i ever spent... off camera flash will open whole new worlds for you especially doing macros.. i'd suggest a cheap grip now..

GREAT find dude!!
roy

edit: B&H has come down. when i got mine 2 years ago the price was $108..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:59 PM   #8

Does anyone know if there are third-party 5P cables that work with these Pentax hotshoe adapters? I'm quickly finding that 3' is way too short, and the Pentax 9' cable is costly.

I'd be better off getting one of those cheap wireless triggers at this rate (although I'd lose P-TTL). Hurry up K20D!

- Jason