Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   FYI on my current situation (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/135964-fyi-my-current-situation.html)

vIZnquest Jan 26, 2008 6:13 PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to let you know that my posting here will on hold for a while. I fell down the basement stairs and in route to my unexpected trip down to the basement floor I managed to completely tear my biceps tendon completely off my raidal tuberosity where the tendon is inserted in the forearm. I will be going under the knife on Wednesday (30th) and will be in recovery and rehab until the beginning of May.

Keep shooting all, and stay safe in all that you do.

Tom

EddyinGA Jan 26, 2008 7:45 PM

Tom

Good luck to you with the surgery. I hope they get everything back in order and you have a full recovery.

ciao`

Ed

TDN Jan 26, 2008 7:49 PM

Get well soon Tom, and see if they can prescribe something for that LBA ;)

Take care

danielchtong Jan 26, 2008 8:08 PM

TDN wrote:
Quote:

Get well soon Tom, and see if they can prescribe something for that LBA ;)

Take care
Tom,

LBA, ABA....temporarily abated. Momentarily in remission.
Hope you get well soon

Daniel

Driver3 Jan 26, 2008 8:18 PM

Man does that sound painful.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Dennis

mtngal Jan 26, 2008 11:25 PM

Tom - yuck! Take care, do everything they tell you to do, and I hope all goes well. Keep in touch when you start feeling better.

vIZnquest Jan 27, 2008 2:59 AM

Thanks everyone,

I will do what I can to speed up my recovery but I can't force nature's healing process to go any faster.

The surgeon is a friend of mine who four years ago did reconstructive surgery of my right knee. I have a background in PT and know what it will take to get myself on the road to a smooth recovery. In fact, I gave him the diagnosis. He agreed with me. Lucky thing I did not hit my head at all. When looking at the X-ray there were no bone fragmentation to be found.

Thanks again,

Tom

wadue Jan 27, 2008 4:00 AM

Wow, Tom...that's a helluva way to start out the new year! At least it sounds like you're in very capable hands. Just out of curiousity, do they reattach the same ligament or do they replace with a donor's? When I had my ACL done last winter, the ortho gave me the option of using one of my own or a donor & after talking to him, I opted for a donor's.

here's wishing you nothing but the best for a speedy recovery & to let you know that you'll be in my prayers!
Ron

vIZnquest Jan 27, 2008 4:42 AM

Hi Ron,

When I had my knee rebuilt I was still playing competetive(soccer) so I opted for the middle third of my patellar tendon to be used to replace my blown acl. The patellar tendon has one advantage over a donor tissue is that a bone block from the patella (knee cap) and from the tibial crest (shin bone) can be used to anchor in place along with the titanium screws used to hold it in place. Eventually the bone blocks grow into the holes that are drilled in the femur and tibia. Donor tissue has a tendency to stretch but is used mostly for those who either want to heal quicker or are not a hardcore athlete. Females usually use tissue from their hamstring instead of the patellar tendon. The patellar tendon is considered the "gold standard" for high level athletes.

The biceps tear is the tendon that literally snapped off the radial tuberosity. The tendon is about halfway up my humerus now. An incision will be made at the lower part of my upper arm so the tendon can be retrieved and then trimmed on the end. It will have sutures to hold it in place and a bioscrew will be used to hold the tendon in place of the original site where it pulled off. The screw will in time dissapate as the tendon fuses back in its original place.

When I had my knee rebuilt I was already walking without my crutches after six days and was back playing limited at six months. After a year I was playing pain free and have ever since.

I feel my rehab for my biceps tear will be three months if all goes well and there is no infection. Yes, I am in great hands with my surgeon.

Take Care and thanks Ron,

Tom

bluwing Jan 27, 2008 8:50 AM

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the needed surgery. As much as I hate doctors, You sound like you are in good hands! Best of luck and have a fast recovery!!!

Rudy