Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:20 PM   #1

A couple of building shots in Toronto in the middle of winter. See which one you guys/gals like

This one has a bit of distraction. But it is an interesting building if not for the distraction

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:23 PM   #2

I really like the different angle taken in the second one the best out of them all. All are nice shots but I would put the second one in a coffee table book collection.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:55 PM   #3

Daniel,

Those are all great shots, love the first and last the best, but the distraction shot has something, I know it will grow on me.

I wish we had buildings like that here, small town, nothing over 2 floors high. LOL

Terry
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:55 PM   #4

Daniel,

Those are all great shots, love the first and last the best, but the distraction shot has something, I know it will grow on me.

I wish we had buildings like that here, small town, nothing over 2 floors high. LOL

Terry
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:55 PM   #5

Daniel,

Terry
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6

Interesting collection of shots. I'm not personally crazy about your third one - I like the first two the best. They are different and I'm not sure which I like better - the more classic look of the first one with all those interesting lines, or the non-conventional angles of second one - there's more tension or dynamic action or something (I'm no photography/artistic expert and composition is hard for me). It's almostdizzying in a way (wanted to use the word "disturbing" but there's too much negative connotation withthe wordand I don't mean it that way at all, I really like the shot). Hope someone who knows what they are talking about can explain it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:30 PM   #7

I agree with Harriet about the first two shots, the lack of familiar figures to give scale to the images makes them very graphic abstractions. The windows in the second image gives us some frame of reference but still keeps the sense of the abstract. I also like the last image but more for the subject matter than the composition, these "flatiron" buildings seem to be found in many cities.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:49 AM   #8

Terry , Ira,

Thanks for taking time to comment

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Interesting collection of shots.¬* I'm not personally crazy about your third one - I like the first two the best.¬* They are different and I'm not sure which I like better - the more classic look of the first one with all those interesting lines, or the non-conventional angles of second one - there's more tension or dynamic action or something (I'm no photography/artistic expert and composition is hard for me).¬* It's almost¬*dizzying in a way (wanted to use the word "disturbing" but there's too much negative connotation with¬*the word¬*and I don't mean it that way at all, I really like the shot).¬* Hope someone who knows what they are talking about can explain it.
Harriet,

I have been trying to blend in (not with PP though) the image of these cool buildings in Toronto

First one at the very end

Second one

Hehe, at the right time with sunlight, I should get reflection as well. Guess what? I did put too much in the pot with overwhelming number of perfect ingredient. Likely distractive then. Got to rethink the framing/composition/blending which has never been my strength.

Daniel , Toronto
Old Jan 27, 2008, 7:03 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I also like the last image but more for the subject matter than the composition,¬* these "flatiron" buildings seem to be found in many cities.

Ira

Ira,

Maybe I did not do a good job. It was not about the flatiron. It was about the narrow side (just around 15 ft the short side) that I want to stress. The building behind is for portraying the size difference. Didn't convey that well I believe. It is a pity that those light poles cannot be removed. Also it is undergoing renovation too.

Daniel
Old Jan 27, 2008, 8:53 AM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I also like the last image but more for the subject matter than the composition, these "flatiron" buildings seem to be found in many cities.

Ira

Ira,

Maybe I did not do a good job. It was not about the flatiron. It was about the narrow side (just around 15 ft the short side) that I want to stress. The building behind is for portraying the size difference. Didn't convey that well I believe. It is a pity that those light poles cannot be removed. Also it is undergoing renovation too.

Daniel
Perhaps I should have been a little more complete in my answer, I did notice the size difference, and the way the old building was nicely framed by the modern towers in the background. Urban scenes have so much clutter that images like your first two seem more striking because the abstractions eliminate the clutter, or make it part of the image, while images of more familiar subject matter, like these last two, suffer from wires and poles and other distractions.

Keep it up, these photographs present views of the city we don't normally see.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote