Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1

I usually just use the "Auto" and "Av"modes of my ist DL, but using a Sunpak 383 bounce-flash that I just got my indoor pictures have mostly been badly overexposed. After a while, I found that I was able to get good exposure in the manual mode "M". I'm not very used this mode and controlling both the aperture and shutter speed at the same time (as well as flash settings), and was wondering if anyone had advice or tips on what mode/settings to use initially on the DL with the flash to simplify things so that I have less settings (and confusion) to deal with?

ksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:01 AM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Here's a link to more flash info than you will care to read!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:56 AM   #3

ksurfer wrote:
Quote:
I usually just use the "Auto" and "Av"modes of my ist DL, but using a Sunpak 383 bounce-flash that I just got my indoor pictures have mostly been badly overexposed.¬*
Of course. Your 383 (not p-TTL which is required for DL) does not communicate with the camera and there is no way it knows what is needed. It just gave the max full flash power.

Quote:
After a while, I found that I was able to get good exposure in the manual mode "M".¬* I'm not very used this mode and controlling both the aperture and¬* shutter speed at the same time (as well as flash settings), and was wondering if anyone had advice or tips on what mode/settings to use initially on the DL with the flash to simplify things so that I have less settings (and confusion) to deal with?¬*
Your manual of 383 should have a table of what setting you should use for different subject distance, flash power, shutter speed and aperture. Real pain to use with so many variables. But it does work if you take time to fine tune it.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 8:05 AM   #4

ksurfer wrote:
Quote:
I usually just use the "Auto" and "Av"modes of my ist DL, but using a Sunpak 383 bounce-flash that I just got my indoor pictures have mostly been badly overexposed. After a while, I found that I was able to get good exposure in the manual mode "M". I'm not very used this mode and controlling both the aperture and shutter speed at the same time (as well as flash settings), and was wondering if anyone had advice or tips on what mode/settings to use initially on the DL with the flash to simplify things so that I have less settings (and confusion) to deal with?

Here is how to use your current flash.

1. With camera set on M, set the white balance to flash, set the ISO at 200 (or 400 if you are working at greater distances) set the shutter speed to 100.

2. Next set the flash calculator (on the back of the unit I would guess) to the ISO you have set on the camera.set an appropriate automatic setting for the distances you will be working in.

3. Let us say that the calculator says f8 at ISO 200, then set the aperture on your camera to f8 (using the camera controls).

4. While shooting with flash ignore any exposure warnings the camera gives you and check your images for proper exposure. If the exposure is not correct adjust the aperture on the camera until you get the desired result. Practice on subjects similar to those you plan to shoot in order to determine if any adjustment will be necessary.

You now have an automatic non-TTL system that should give fairly accurate exposures if the flash is in good working order (Sunpak 383s, and Vivitar 283/285s were popular with photojournalists until TTL units became available, in fact there are still some who use these flash units since they know the results they will get). The only TTL flash units I own are those that were built into the camera, I have a Vivitar 285 and a 285HV that I use whenever I need more flash power.

I hope this helps, although a nice new P-TTL flash unit would be easier to use, the old Sunpak will provide lots of flash powerat no additional cost except in time to set things up.

More information on using the Sunpak 383 is found here http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/battflash.html

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback!

Driver3: 6 pages of posts...you're right, that is quite a read for me.

daniel: I don't think the flash was giving out full power, but rather I had the wrong settings on the camera (?). Yeah, I guess I need to experiment with it more.

Ira: This will really help me out and get me started right. I'm glad to hear the advice about using aperture to make adjustments. Making adjustments to one setting makes things a lot easier on me. Thanks!

ksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote