Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:51 PM   #11

Great shots. Incredible work.

The black and white adds so much to these shots. Nice touch. Really liked the choice of scenery as well

Great Job

Brian

goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:48 PM   #12

Thanks, Brian. The scenery is very local for me- all pictures were taken within about a 2 mile walk/snowshoe from my house. Whenever I start to doubt my sanity while stuck on the freeway somewhere along our 75 mile (one way) commute, or spending the night in a motel because theI-5 is closed or we've been evacuated, I just look out a window and I know it's all worth it.

If anyone is interested, I used Lightroom to do the b&w conversion - the program allows you to control the tonal range of specific colors (I was able to darken the blue sky without affecting the tonal range of the rest of the picture) - it gives you far more options than just adjusting brightness and contrast.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:09 AM   #13

Here is one attempt using the green channel in the channel mixer on CS2. I am trying to get something approaching the success you have achieved.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:22 AM   #14

Really nice b&w, folks. I really like #1, thou the others are great as well.
I should give it a try someday.

I have the same problem with the exposure. Often times I have to do a EV+1 or even +2. Plus with the wide angle lens I get noise (purple fringing and all) in darker areas and going b&w would take care of it.

mtngal,
The weather over there sounds more like what we get over here. Just Monday we had 45F with rain. That did not last long thou: in 12 hours it dropped to -15F with -40F wind chill and blizzard. I knew wearing sandals in January is not a good idea:-)
Anyway, we are back to normal:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:30 PM   #15

I wasn't completely pleased with the results I managed using CS2 Channel Mixer, but it was better than just desaturating a picture. I don't really understand how it works, but have developed a vague idea. What seemed to work for me was to make an adjustment layer for the channel mixer, and check the monochrome box. That automatically sets the red channel at 100% and the green and blue at 0%. I usually go through each channel, seeing what happens if I change the green to 100% and the others to 0, then the blue channel. Decide which one gets closest to what I want, then start moving the sliders around to get close to what I want. I usually also have to adjust levels or contrast because I like high contrast, and I haven't managed to get that with the channel mixer, but that might be because I was trying to keep the three channels adding up to 100%. The last time I tried it, it added up to more than 100% by the time I got close to what I wanted. I assume it's because of my limited understanding of what I'm doing. Lightroom is much more flexible, and I was able to get what I wanted much easier with it.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:23 PM   #16

There is a piece of software called Lightzone which has one of thebest conversion schemes I have seen. I tried out a trial version last year but my slow old computer couldn't do much with it. I will continue to experiment until i get results that I like.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Ira

Here is another attempt, using Picasa2 and PSE.

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:11 AM   #17

That's a neat picture! I like the second one better - it's got more contrast (something I like). The road looks rather icy, which I don't like so much :G. Guess you can't have snow without the ice, though.