Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1

February 2008 Robert's Challenge

I like the challenge idea and feel that the person doing the other one is doing a great job, but I have had some ideas for some and so I am starting a second one. The rules are simple.

1. As long as the photo contains the subject requested you can do what you like. Post processing, etc. So if for example a subject is a butane lighter as long as the subject is in the picture you can do what you like.

What I am after is to see creative work that includes at the time of picture capture, before picture capture (how you arrange the subject or the angle that you shoot from), post processing in something like Photoshop, plug-ins, etc. Let your imagination go wild and most importantly have fun.

2. Please list the equipment used, software used, plug-ins used.
3. Please leave the EXIF data as intact as possible so that those that wish to can see the shutter speed, etc. used to capture the picture.
4. Tell us in a few paragraphs how you did it and why you did it the way you did.

- - - - -

February 2008 Robert's Challenge Subject is...

[align=center]Railroad Tracks*
[align=left]
* Please be safe. If your tracks are still in use be very careful, don't get hurt!

[/align][/align]

Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2

Sounds good...I'll get back to you in a day or so!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:17 PM   #3

Ok, Here is my entry. This is a photo I shot in Old Sacramento (California, USA). I used my own technique for making it look old. Since someone else maybe interested in the techique I have also included a Photoshop CS3 action, well action there are two actions for for the old brown and one for old black and white. You can download the .zip for with the actions below.

Before

After

Download the Action File

http://www.sonic.net/keesha/challeng...008/action.zip

The basic steps for the old brown effect is*:

1. Load your image.
2. Resize your image if needed.
3. Do any exposure adjustments you need to do. Do not worry about color adjustments.
4. Convert the image to black and white. I am using Adobe Photoshop CS3 and I go to Image > Adjustments > Black & White. I am for a high contrast image, lots of black, lots of white, small amount of grays.
5. Next go to Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter. Choose Warming Filter (85), Density 75% with Preserve Luminosity: On.
6. Next go to Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter. Choose Color: R:72 G:48 B:13, Density 70% with Preserve Luminosity: Off.
7. Create two empty layers above the background layer. Fill each of these layers with Gray R128, B128, G128.
8. On the first gray layer go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise. Use Amount 30%, Gaussian, Monochromatic.
9. On the second gray layer go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise. Use amount 15%, Uniform, Monochromatic.
10. Hide the two gray noise layers in the layers palette. Click on the Background layer (the image layer so that it is selected).
11. Go to the channels palette and control + click on the RGB channel. This loads the image luminostity as a mask/selection. You may or may not see a lot of marching ants. Don't worry about.
12. Click on the first gray layer in the layers palette to make it the current layer. Unhide it by clicking on the box to the left of the layer name. Then press the delete key 4 times. Now rehide this layer.
13. Click on the second gray layer in the layers palette to make it the current layer. Unhide it by clicking on the box to the left of the layer name.
14. Go to Select > Inverse to invert the mask/selection.
15. Press the delete key 1 time.
16. Go to Select > Deselect.
17. Unhide both the gray noise layers in the layers palette.
18. Change both gray noise layers blending modes to Overlay. This will get rid of any of the gray in the layers showing only the noise.

* The steps above produce a darker form of the action. You can adjust this by changing the color of the brown in step 6 and by adding a Levels adjustment layer at the top of the stack of adjustment layers in the layers palette. The action does this all for you.

Robert

Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:21 PM   #4

robert,
no one runs the other thread.. it passes hands once a month..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:26 PM   #5

Nice to know. It has had some interesting topics. I hope this one does as well.

Robert
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:54 PM   #6

Does the shot have to be taken in that month? or can it be an archived shot?
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:58 PM   #7

Anytime. Though perferably with a Pentax. Though because of it being winter I won't hold people to that. I just want to see how creative people are and hopfully inspire them to be more creative and to have fun.

Robert
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:58 PM   #8

Here is a shot that I've had a lot of fun with, and a lot of compliments on - 2 different processing techniques.

Taken with the Pentax *istDL and SMC-F 50/1.7, F2.5, 1/100s, ISO400, late afternoon. No real "posing" or set up, my son was just walking down the tracks and I was walking along behind him - snapped a few of these off. Taken in P mode with Auto ISO. I don't really have a "why" except when I looked up and saw him my brain said - "hey, that looks like a cool shot". This is one of those I wished I'd shot in RAW and exposed a bit better to not wash out the sky, but also goes to show that shooting in JPEG can still produce a cool shot.

I played with a lot of different processing on the color version, ending up with one more or less borrowed from our pal Ben using PS CS3 - after adjusting for levels and such, create a duplicate layer, change to Soft Light, with about 60% on the sliders (I don't remember exactly) - then flatten them together. Its had a few other tweaks, but I dont' recall all the steps. This one got me "Best in Show" in the "Folsom Focus" city photo contest. My photo career is now over!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriscallanan/2094954384/ to see other sizes and more info.

The black and white version took the color one into Lightroom, I tried a few different options, settled on a plug-in that I'd downloaded, a pretty basic desaturation plus a few other changes. This is the only one of 13 shots I've submitted to the Pentax Photo Gallery that got accepted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriscallanan/2203014676/ for other sizes, info.

I can find the specific plug in for the black and white if you are interested.
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:16 PM   #9

Both are very nice. I think I like the black and white one best. But then I think 2008 is going to be my black and white year. Like 2007 was my corn year, couldn't get enough corn. Now its black and white.

Robert
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:26 PM   #10

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
February 2008 Robert's Challenge

I like the challenge idea and feel that the person doing the other one is doing a great job, but I have had some ideas for some and so I am starting a second one. The rules are simple.

1. As long as the photo contains the subject requested you can do what you like. Post processing, etc. So if for example a subject is a butane lighter as long as the subject is in the picture you can do what you like.

What I am after is to see creative work that includes at the time of picture capture, before picture capture (how you arrange the subject or the angle that you shoot from), post processing in something like Photoshop, plug-ins, etc. Let your imagination go wild and most importantly have fun.

2. Please list the equipment used, software used, plug-ins used.
3. Please leave the EXIF data as intact as possible so that those that wish to can see the shutter speed, etc. used to capture the picture.
4. Tell us in a few paragraphs how you did it and why you did it the way you did.

- - - - -

February 2008 Robert's Challenge Subject is...

[align=center]Railroad Tracks*
[align=left]
* Please be safe. If your tracks are still in use be very careful, don't get hurt!

[/align][/align]
Robert,

Something that I did not know. I believe we have a January Challenge which I believe we are to vote for the person who shall decide the subject of the February Challenge.

But this is Robert's Feb Challenge which differs from the January or Feb monthly challenge?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote