Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:05 PM   #1

When you are working with raw (PEF if it matters) do you attempt to reduce noise during the raw conversion or when you are working in PS or PSP? I have some great butterfly macros from this past weekend, well they are great except for the factthe K10was setat ISO 800 and are so noisy I don't know that I can salvage them.

I am new to Lightroom but that is what I will be using for the Raw conversion. I mainly use PSP X and X2 for post processing. No high dollar plug ins but I might be tempted if there is something that can reduce the noise and still maintain detail as fine as butterfly hair.

Thank you for any advice,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:25 PM   #2

I have never had much luck with the noise removal tools that are built into the RAW converters or PS. I always use a noise removal plugin in PS (my favorite is NoiseWare Professional).

Just remember one thing...if you are doing noise removal with a plugin in PS, do that as the FIRST image adjustment you do. Anything else you may do to the image can make noise removal more difficult if done before noise removal.

Almost all of the noise removal plugins have a free trial period that lets you try them out (in some limited output way) before you decide. Besides NoiseWare, there is Noise Ninja and Neat Image.
rodeknyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:56 PM   #3

Hi Tim,
I use Noiseware Pro Plug-in, but so far haven't ventured into RAW Processing. With Noise Ninja you can be more selective in applying noise reduction, by just working on parts that need it. Personally I like to apply NR early in any processing, later when you apply any final sharpening, at least you're not sharpening noise. ... Hope this helps ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:49 PM   #4

rodeknyt wrote:
Quote:
I have never had much luck with the noise removal tools that are built into the RAW converters or PS. I always use a noise removal plugin in PS (my favorite is NoiseWare Professional).

Just remember one thing...if you are doing noise removal with a plugin in PS, do that as the FIRST image adjustment you do. Anything else you may do to the image can make noise removal more difficult if done before noise removal.

Almost all of the noise removal plugins have a free trial period that lets you try them out (in some limited output way) before you decide. Besides NoiseWare, there is Noise Ninja and Neat Image.
i agree mostly here.. i may do a 25% in acr but seldomly.. NNinja is what i use and it's auto does a great job. the d/l profiles for your cam also work well. i also like the brush filter where you can mask off what not to touch..
this is the first thing i do after acr..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:57 PM   #5

I currently use Raw Shooter Essentials for RAW conversion then run the ouput files through Noise Ninja.

As Roy says the auto settings do a pretty good job.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:58 PM   #6

Thanks ya'll. I am busy now converting raw files and running them through the free version of Noiseware. I am still fairly new to the K10d and I forget that it does not handle high ISO as well as my K100d (I also forget to change the bloody ISO setting when I need to). After I have a batch converted and run through Noiseware I will see what I can make of them in PSP. Thanks for the help in getting my post processing order straight, if I get anything decent I will post it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:17 AM   #7

Tim - I'm with everyone else (more or less). I use Lightroom to do the raw conversion, open in CS2, then use Neat Image (I have the version that has the PS plug-in) to do noise reduction. I find its better than LR's noise reduction, and I've never mastered CS2's options. Neat Image is so easy to use that I've stuck with it rather than trying Noise Ninja or any of the other noise reduction software out there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8

Same here, I eilther use NoiseNinja or Define plugins for PS to remove noise and rarely deal with it in RAW processing.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:45 PM   #9

Hi Tim

I am the same here. When I Shoot Raw, i use Raw Shooter and export it to PSE. Do my adjustments and the use Neat image. I also have the version With the photoshop plug In, So It makes it easy. I also have Noise Ninja, But i have never reallly mastered that, so i stick With NI

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:23 PM   #10

Noiseware community edition, lacks features but gets the job done. I convert to jpeg then run through Noiseware before further adjustment.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote