Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:54 PM   #1

[align=justify][/align]
[align=justify]There are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet. Like the K10D, the new K20D will win numerous awards and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was named camera of the year 2008 or 2009. So instead of listing what I would like the K20D to have, I listed what innovation the K20D offers and if you don't like those innovations, the K20D is not for you. [/align]
[align=justify]
* To begin with, if you think that silver halide pictures are better than the new generation of digital single lens reflex cameras, don't buy the K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]
* If you don't like a CMOS sensor, which gives the K20D some immunity against noise at higher ISO and also uses less power, giving you about 740 shots per battery charge compared to 500 with the K10D, then don't buy the K20D. [/align]

[align=justify]
* If you don't like the fact that the K20D is backward compatible with around twenty-four millions lenses sold by Pentax since the beginning of their first single lens reflex camera, then you don't want the K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]
* If you prefer buying a new battery grip designed just for one model, instead of using your Pentax K10D grip on a new K20D, don't get a K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]
* If you want your RAW files in the manufacturer specified format only and not have the capability of also saving your RAW files in DGN format, which is compatible with all Photoshop products, then the K20D is not for you. [/align]
[align=justify]* If a 2.7" monitor is too big for you, don't get the K20D.[/align]

[align=justify]
* If you don't need or will never need a flash sync for studio photography, don't get the K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]
* If you like to pay between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00 for a DSLR with about the same features as the K20D, but maybe with a smaller 10MP or 12 MP sensors instead of a 14.6 effective MP, you won't be able to find a K20D at that price. You will have to spend about $1,299.00 U.S. to get a new K20D. If you don't need digital or real-time preview, with capability of keeping the previewed picture, you don't need the K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]* If you don't want a rugged camera with dust and humidity protection so that you can keep shooting in any weather, the K20D is not for you. [/align]
[align=justify]* If you don't want a great dust removal system, which included the only available "Dust Alert" system available today that shows a reverse image where the stubborn dust remains on the sensor, or want to purchase a $109.95 sensor scope to see whatever dust has remained accumulated on the sensor, then you certainly don't want the K20D as it is the only DSLR that has the "Dust Alert" technology. [/align]
[align=justify]
* If you think that live-view with an available grid display and zoom with AF selection is not useful in some situations like low angle shooting, etc, then maybe you don't need a K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]* You don't need focus adjustment for your lenses collection, there is no point to purchase the K20D. [/align]
[align=justify]* If you think that a burst mode of 20 images per second @1.6 MP could be useful in documenting an important event that can easily be transformed into a MPEG or other video format, you don't need a K20D.

I could go on and on, but you must get the idea by now. There are more features in the new K20D than ever before in the history of photography, and somehow some of us still want more. Stop counting the pixels, stop comparing images enlarged 100 times, stop reading specifications and go out there and take pictures. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to program pictures?

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque[/align]
[align=justify]pentaxdslrs[/align]

Pentax Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:36 PM   #2

I agree, it is amazing how people can complain about a camera that isn't even for sale yet. This looks like a great camera and I can't wait to see some real world shots from it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:49 PM   #3

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I agree, it is amazing how people can complain about a camera that isn't even for sale yet. This looks like a great camera and I can't wait to see some real world shots from it.

Tom
Remember "he who shall not be named"?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:53 PM   #4

I have the same problem in real life, I shoot at a lot of places where there are other photographers and as soon as the canon and nikon guys see I have a pentax, out come the claws. I just shrug it off to stupidity and narrow mindeness and keep on shooting more and better pictures than they could hope for and I dont have $5000 tied up in equipment YET.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:16 PM   #5

Pentax Socal,

Well said. If you're ever in need of employement - attach your original post to your resume and send it to Pentax Marketing -I think you do a better job than they do.

Now can you take a more positive approach - I need arguments for buying a K20d to use on my wife... er financial advisor. They need to be really persuasive.

As we advance into our middle age years mywife was lookingat a recent photo I took of her. She wascomplaining about hergreying hair, sagging skin, wrinkles, eye bags, age spots, etc. She asked me if there wasn't something about her that I could say that would be of encouragement. I told her that her eye sight was still perfect.

That's when the fight started.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:30 PM   #6

Nice.

I haven't seen these bashing posts you're talking about. Sound ridiculous. Mind linking me to some? I'm just curious what they could be saying.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:11 AM   #7

David French wrote:
Quote:
Nice.

I haven't seen these bashing posts you're talking about. Sound ridiculous. Mind linking me to some? I'm just curious what they could be saying.
David,

I certainly do not want to bash anyone myself, but you must know the popular Pentax sites. Look in the DSLR sections and the News and Rumors sections. Maybe bashing is a little strong, but lots of people are disapointed at the new features of the K20D and most haven't even held or tried one. I am lucky enough to live just a few driving hours from Las Vegas. I will attend the three days of the PMS 2008 this coming Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I, along with hundred of other photography nuts, will likely report myr findings next week.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
Pentax Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:55 AM   #8

Pentax Socal wrote:
Quote:
I, along with hundred of other photography nuts, will likely report myr findings next week.

Looking forwards to that, Yvon.

Couldn't agree more on your first post. One remark, though. A lot of the bashers scream out loudly "I won't upgrade from my K10D". If I had a one year old helluva camera like the K10D I wouldn't upgrade either. But I will upgrade from my marvellous DS, which is actually becoming worn by now.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:59 AM   #9

There's another board that's run by a site having lots of reviews - you'll find a number of those disappointed people there.

I wish Yvon hadn't mentioned that PMA was this weekend. I had carefully planned on not being anywhere around Vegas for it (so I wasn't tempted to spend the money to go). But yesterday I committed to going for another reason, one that won't take all day Saturday to complete. I'm definitely in trouble now...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
There's another board that's run by a site having lots of reviews - you'll find a number of those disappointed people there.

I wish Yvon hadn't mentioned that PMA was this weekend. I had carefully planned on not being anywhere around Vegas for it (so I wasn't tempted to spend the money to go). But yesterday I committed to going for another reason, one that won't take all day Saturday to complete. I'm definitely in trouble now...
Hehehe, take your DA* 50-135mm Harriet, maybe they'll allow you to take some shots with a K20D? :idea:
I'm curious of how good the images must look with such a camera-lens-combo.

Good post Yvon, I'll be upgrading too.

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote