Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1

Well, I was over in San Diego on business and had a chance to battle the rush hour traffic to get over to Coronado Island to catch the sunset. Also, the next morning, I was able to get some pictures of the yachet harbor on Shelter Island - then it started raining in the afternoon for the rest of the week.

My mistake - I was shooting the moon a week or so ago, and left the camera on "spot". Anyway, the sunset pictures were not what I was expecting (I checked, but I just though it was the small size on the camera monitor). Plus the next morning I was shooting fast so I could make the early morning conference call....

Anyway, I bracketed a number of the sunset, I'll see what I can salvage. So much for rushing. From here on out - I am always going to revert to my standard of the 11 segement averaging.

enjoy....

this is from Coronado Island across the mouth of the harbor to Point Loma looking to the north north west
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2

and the yachet harbor....
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:06 AM   #3

Forgetting to change some setting or another back is one of my biggest failings too. I must say that the yacht harbor does not *look* like a salvage job so you must have done well with your post processing.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:19 AM   #4

Nice shots! I like the boats in the harbour. San Diego is such a great city; clean, beautiful weather all year round. If there is one city that I would live in the states, its SD.

Thanh
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:48 PM   #5

Lovely pictures, especially the harbor! While San Diego is pretty, I hate the traffic and roads - I'd rather live elsewhere in California.

I'm another one who forgets to change things - though I tend to use either spot or center weighted metering mostly, especially with sunsets/sunrises. I occasionally use the matrix setting if conditions are really difficult and there's too much dynamic range. The one that drives me nuts is when I accidentally change the mode to Sv, which up until Sunday I left at 1600 (my usual ISO range stops at 800).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:43 PM   #6

Hi,
i am glad, that i am not the only one, who forget to change settings back..

Great pictures.
The harbor is nice, but i like the mood of the sunset more.

bye alex

albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:50 PM   #7

nice shots anyway. don't feel like the long ranger.. i got to the zoo today and on my first shot the ''no card in camera'' dialog came up. fortunately i had my walk around pack with me and plenty of cards. the last time this happened it was at the lake and i had no card. that's why there's a card in the console now. there's also a remote trigger in it..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:52 PM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Forgetting to change some setting or another back is one of my biggest failings too. I must say that the yacht harbor does not *look* like a salvage job so you must have done well with your post processing.

Tim
yeah,
my wife would never let me move out there.. she says she'd end up a sailors widow..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9

Nice photos to me...The worst for me is to drive 35 miles to shoot a certain area and find out I left my batteries at home! DUHHH!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:22 PM   #10

Thanks, I was really feeling stupid. The images were just converted and resized, no post processing at all, at least not yet. I took a freshout with me - we just hired him straight out of Univ of Wisconsin. Never had been to the coast, nor seen the Pacific ocean. So he pulls out his Kodak Easyshot, takes a few pictures. Pulls out his cell phone and takes a few pictures, send them back home. Calls to tell them that he is sitting on the beach.....while they are in 20 below with 3 feet of white stuff.

I come in to work this week, and he has this really wonderful sunset shot that he printed out and hung in his cube, and has another sunset shot as his background picture on his phone. Now he wants to see my magnificient shots with my "advanced" weaponery. I feel like an idiot.

So, I explained what happened to my shots, then he tells me that Tuesday he just found that he made a slight configuration error and two days of work are shot, so we both learned essentially the same thing.

Now he wants to know - when we're going back to San Diego again....