Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:36 AM   #1

I've wanted to get a proper wide angle lens for some time now, and after seeing that pentax lenses sell for insane amount of money on ebay I decided to sell some of my unused gear.

So I put A 50mm f1.7, Vivitar series 1 70-210mm, and automatic flashgun on ebay. I haven't sold them yet but I already spent the money I hope I'll get (I saw vivitar go for 135 GBP couple weeks ago, but it had A position on aperture ring and was boxed while mine isn't)

So I got a Sigma 10-20mm EX and it's coming tommorow. I'm plannig to go somwhere next week to test it.

And I have a question for those of you who have one of those. Does it vignetts with polariser (or any other filter) attached to it? will regular 77mm Hoya filter work or do I need one of those slim filters to avoid vignetting?

Currently I'm using Cokin P filters but that wont work on such wide lens.

Next on my list is Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX (to replace kit lens), but that will have to wait few months.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:29 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new purchase, I am looking forward to seeing examples and hearing your thoughts. I recently sold some surplus lenses and I think one of the things that helped my auctions was posting links to images taken with the lens. Hopefully you will do well.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:26 AM   #3

I have the Sigma 10-20mm but never tried a polarizer on it. From what I read, there are two problems with that:

1. At 10mm most will vignette although by 12mm a thin one should be fine
2. Due to the wide angle the polarizing effect will not be uniform

Anyway, once you try it I would love to hear how that works:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:32 AM   #4

Congratulations..Hope your lenses do well on Ebay! Looking forward to some photos with the new lens! I have several Sigma lenses and they all do very well!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:33 AM   #5

It is slow loading here this morning!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:13 AM   #6

I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics with the Sigma. Lots of people really like it, and it would be interesting to compare it to the 12-24.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7

I got it this morning. if there's nice weather next week I'll go try it in the morning and post some pictures.

If anyone who have one uses polariser with it can you tell me it it vignetts with it? it's very wide and I'm afraid I may need hoya pro slim filter but unfortunately they are beyond my financial reach at the moment. I have to try to hold my Cokin P filter in front of it with my hand while shooting .

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote