Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:33 PM   #11

Thanks Roy, for the welcome.
i appreciate to be here , but no bites, please :-)!

alex
albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:15 PM   #12

Alex

Welcome to the forum. You are right about the people in the forum. We are like one big Family.
You did not say where in the states you are, but if you are in the New York City area. Make sure you stop in at B&H photo. It is just an amazing place.

Again Welcome

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:22 PM   #13

Thanks Kjell,
the question is, if i can get some touristic pictures of my surrounding. All looks so normal and familiar to me.
I think it would be a good idea, to play tourist in your hometown :-)

Thanks Phil,
I will be in California, to be more precise, it is Westlake Village, CA. So maybe i can find some shops near Los Angeles and everything within one hour. (Weekend is almost free, so i'll may find some time for shopping. Ah, i'll have to otherwise my 3 girls in austria will kill me, if i do not bring them some presents.)
bye alex

Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:59 PM   #14

Hi Alex, Your comments are very flattering especially because they are very true for this board in particular. Reading how you went about selecting the K100 was very interesting. I too have the K100, and trying to increase my talent to match the camera.

One thing that I have found is that the K100 does have limitations, however there are always workarounds available, which essentially increases your abilities. So in many ways, the K100 is the perfect learning camera. Yes - there are times I would like more megapixels for croping or other items, and I guess I could go out and get a K20, but there is a 12-24 lens that I think would be a better acquisition for me right now.

I look foward to images from Austria. That is another aspect of this board and Steve's site in general, the wide variety of images from all over the world that are posted. Also, the images are stunning and there are always ideas available - so it is a real learning experience. One thing that I have found is that there is a wide range of equipment on this board that is used. There is no real push to have the latest and greatest. People use what they have, and extend their capabilities and then upgrade as they are able to. There are a lot of users here with DS & DL that take fantastic images. So do not feel limited here at all - and please do post.

I too am in software - designing system architectures for ultra real time virtural environments for special processing needs.

While your in California - you can go to the Pentax website and put in a zip code and then it will provide a list of camera stores that carry Pentax equipment. That may fill up what ever free time you may find.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:18 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
A warm welcome from a fellow European. Never been to Austria though, but that will comesoon as the kids are approaching adulthood (a workmate, a little older than me, told me that the best pay rise you get in life is when the kids move out...:-)) So please post some photographic tourist propaganda...

Kjell
Welcome Alex...You've been visiting long enough to know this Dawg doesn't bite. LOL Kjell...My Dad always said you never know how much money you really have till the kids leave home and the dog dies! He was right!!

Alex I will be looking forward to some photo post from you with that new camera. Have fun with it and feel free to ask Roy any question you might have...LOL Well just ask and someone will try to answer it anyway!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:19 PM   #16

From one IT guy to another, welcome to the board Alex.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:48 PM   #17

Since you will benear Los Angeles, try to get over to Samys Camera - it's on Fairfax. I've never actually managed to get over there, but I understand that its huge.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:20 AM   #18

Welcome Alex, great choice you have made, it will be fun.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:11 AM   #19
TDN

welcome alex!

And congrats with the new camera!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:25 PM   #20

Thanks for the welcome Tom, Ishino, Ira, interested_observer and Dawg (i know i don't have to be frightened).

Harriet, interested_observer thanks for the tiips for finding cam stores around LA.

bye alex

wow that was really a great welcome by all of you!