Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:41 PM   #11

I have an Amvona 858B aluminum tripod and it is heck for stout. It is a bit heavy but very sturdy.

I have a Benro KS-1 ballhead I just got to replace the KS-0. The smaller one is going on my monopod. Very nice ballheads. There is a blog about the build quality of these not being all that good.but I'm not putting a FA*600 on it either. I also think his testing was a bit flawed, too.I wouldn't buy an Amvona ballhead. I tried one and it weas a POS.

I like the tripod because I can use it standing up without extending the center column. I'm 5'11. I often use it with just the first extension out, the larger one, and kneel with it. It is extremely strong this way. They aren't as nicely finished as a Manfrotto or a Gitzo but for the price it is hard to go wrong.

I think you'll find the KS-00 too small. The KS-0 is prettymarginal for a K10d with a Sigma 100-300 EX f4

My setup is 59 + 14 shipping for the tripod and 89 = 15 shipping for the ballhead and I am not going to have any hesitation to mount the K10 and a Bigma on it.

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:43 PM   #12

amvona's 858s and 828s legs are great. i've had 2 sets.. the set i'm using now are carbon fiber. it and the head came to around $125delivered but you're in canada so it'll be more.. let me get a couple links for you. i think ira uses the 828s.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:08 PM   #13

This is the tripod & ballhead that Iwas able to get from amvona, off of ebay, this past summer.I was able to get it for around $75us with shipping. I absolutely love this rig. I am 6'3" & this telescopes up to 6'6" & is SOLID! My cousin had just paid over $300 for a new Manfrotto tripod & head & was so jealous when he saw this!

Now, after shopping, I could only find it from amvona direct for $94us. Just checked ebay & they are getting $199 for tripod & ballhead & $59 for legs only. I personally say that their customer service is top notch. I had a question about 1 month after the purchase & they talked me right through it.

If you would like pics of mine, just let me know. I'll be glad to post!
Ron

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/fly...roduct_id=1649

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:09 PM   #14

THIS is the set i'm using now.. i'm 5'10'' and with the head and cam hieght the VF is a little too high for my eyes without the column raised. $100 delivered.. supports 22+ pounds, 10k..

i've got 2 of these HEADS.. both $25delivered. supports 8k , 17+ pounds. they have 3 knobs. one for the body lock, one for the ball lock, and one for friction..

i've had a couple of THESE.. there are others here that have these.

they've added some models and most of them look very good.. don't buy from their store.. get them for less in an auction.. there's a link for canada shipping..

roy
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:21 PM   #15

wadue wrote:
Quote:
This is the tripod & ballhead that Iwas able to get from amvona, off of ebay, this past summer.I was able to get it for around $75us with shipping. I absolutely love this rig. I am 6'3" & this telescopes up to 6'6" & is SOLID! My cousin had just paid over $300 for a new Manfrotto tripod & head & was so jealous when he saw this!

Now, after shopping, I could only find it from amvona direct for $94us. Just checked ebay & they are getting $199 for tripod & ballhead & $59 for legs only. I personally say that their customer service is top notch. I had a question about 1 month after the purchase & they talked me right through it.

If you would like pics of mine, just let me know. I'll be glad to post!
Ron

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/fly...roduct_id=1649

ron,
i'm sure you'd like the CF pod i just posted. it's taller, sturdier, and 3 pounds lighter.. it doesn't come wth rubber/spiked feet BUT i can tell you a great method to adapt the ones off the 858..

roy
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:18 AM   #16

Roy, I bet I would the CF! THat at858bl gets a little heavy after a couple of hours. But that $360 would wipe out my k10d fund!

Just as soon as I win the lotto, I get all of the gear that I need & I'll call Roger to go on 1 of his camera hunts! Then I'll swing by DFW & pick you up on the way to Chama! Sound like a deal?
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:49 AM   #17

ron, i also said not to buy from their store and to get it in one of their auctions. the CF pod goes for around $100usd delivered that way.. mine was like 100.51delivered.. i figure if i went name brand on the set it would have been around 500-600usd.. i'm really happy with both products.

SCOTT!! IRA!!,, how about chiming in ????

roy
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:15 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
ron, i also said not to buy from their store and to get it in one of their auctions. the CF pod goes for around $100usd delivered that way.. mine was like 100.51delivered.. i figure if i went name brand on the set it would have been around 500-600usd.. i'm really happy with both products.

SCOTT!! IRA!!,, how about chiming in ????
Hi Roy and Gazander,

Okay okay! :-)

I've got two of the Amvona CF tripods, an A104 and a CF94.
The A104 has three leg sections, and the CF 94 is an older model with four sections. Both are sturdy, but the 3 section legs are better by a touch, and at least look to be more robust as the last section of the CF 94 legs are pretty thin (I don't really need to extend the fourth section because I'm pretty short :-) ) The A104 is CF and aluminum, the CF94 is CF and magnesium. I wanted a tall tripod so I wouldn't need to raise the center column and CF for the vibration dampening for use with the SP300/2.8. Both tripods allow the legs to lock at three different angle independently. Both came with nice soft cases, but the newer one is a lot nicer (A104)

I'd highly recommend the A104. It's tall, sturdy, damps vibration well, is relatively lightweight, and supports my K10 and SP 300/2.8 and TC's with no problem. It's reasonably easy to set up, but I had to dissasemble the leg section locks to clear some of the sticky grease from the threads. I also had to loosen the leg pivots a touch, but I always seem to have to adjust something on everything I buy.

The CF94 only gets a maybe because the leg sections rotate independently and are harder to lock down. I've taken to leaving the CF94 set up to the correct height in my car trunk so all I have to do is grab it, spread the legs out, slide the QR into the head, and I'm ready to go. If I'm gonna use a tripod, I usually need it right away. . . and it does have retracting spikes on the feet, which is a feature I use.

I've also got an ATH-AO2 and 2 ATH-AO1 ballheads, and they are an incredible value IMO. Maybe not quite as smooth as the big bucks Pro level ballheads (all over $300), but they have separate knobs for ball lock, pan, and unlocked ball tension, and they're quicker and position more precisely than my expensive Manfrotto 468MGRC2, and use Arca Swiss compatible plates for the QR. I also have Manfrotto 484 and 486 RC2 heads and they are nothing but frustration compared to the Amvona ATHs using both very heavy and very light lenses. The adjustable tension makes all the difference, allowing precise positioning with little or no post lock "droop".

I'm not as good as Roy at remembering what I paid, but Roy's advice about bidding on the NR auctions is right on, and IIRC, the A104 cost a bit over $100, the CF94 was under $80, and the heads were between $12.50 and $20, all plus shipping -- just unbelievable bang for the buck.

I'm not someone that is impressed just because they are CF, and CF's supposed to be good. These may not be as finely made and finished as Gitzo or Manfrotto legs and RRS, Acratech, or Markins heads, but they just plain work, and at a small fraction of the price of the prestige brands.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:04 PM   #19

i totally agree with scott.. driver3, i think maybe you had a bad experience with an equally bad head.. i've heard lots of diatribes from people with the name brands bashing amvona. only thing i can figure is that it's a case of ''sour grapes'' because they spent an exorbitant amount of money for name brand products..

roy
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:51 PM   #20

I got the Amvona AT-A103T carbon fiber tripod back in Sept for $67 including shipping on EBAY.It took me about 2 weeks of trying to get it that low.

I admit I have not used it much but I have been pleased with the weight, sturdiness, and finish. Weight was a great concern for me. The first one I got had a bad latch on one of the legs so they sent me another within 5 days. No issue since. I would buy from them again.

The one bad note is the stink of the rubber/plastic pieces. They won't run you out of the room but they have a noticeable smell. I left mine in the garage for about 3 months extended and now it barely has any smell. I have read where others cut the rubber off.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote