Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:35 PM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Because in this forum we push each others forwards in stead of putting down.

Kjel
Thank you Kjel for all your positive reinforcement! They are getting a little better aren't they! Most are fairly heavy crops but they still held up better than the earlier one of mine!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:46 PM   #12

TDN wrote:
Quote:
nr 5 is spot on, Ed!

Does the bigma still autofocus ok with that TC attached? Seems like a small aperture to AF...:shock:

Tom
Tom with the aperture wide open and a bright sunny day it does very well. On a dark rainy day such as this one it will not focus past wide open with the TC attached at anything beyond about 150mm! But the manual focus is smooth and I don't mind manual focus as that is the way I really prefer to do it....Given time...The Cardinals will sit in the same place for extended periods but they are always twitching and moving so the focus and the DOF at wide aperture can cause a lack of sharp focus. I shot some this morning all the way up to f/16 with this lens but at a higher ISO than I would like to use. An ISO of 400 or less actually works better but as it was so dark anf the birds love the shady side of the tree then either a wide aperture or a slow shutter was needed to shoot. The twitching birds all make the shots seem out of focus when the shutter gets below 1/90 th or so! Did I just make sense? I meant to...LOL Yes these were hand held as they wanted to get higher in the trees this morning for some reason!

Dawg
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:57 PM   #13

"Because in this forum we push each others forwards in stead of putting down."

I never put anybody down. I clearly stated my assumption the faults rested with the lens and situation, not with the shooter. Like I said with my first post, I have no experience with such shooting and lenses, and was simply wondering if the low quality was just the norm for this type of situation because it seemed odd to me that the images were being complemented when they showed obvious faults (we've all seen much betterbird shots, including those posted by Dawg himself. Dawg, I usually like your shooting very much, and I'm glad that at least you understood the true nature of my post.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:26 AM   #14

David French wrote:
Quote:
"Because in this forum we push each others forwards in stead of putting down."

I never put anybody down. I clearly stated my assumption the faults rested with the lens and situation, not with the shooter. Like I said with my first post, I have no experience with such shooting and lenses, and was simply wondering if the low quality was just the norm for this type of situation because it seemed odd to me that the images were being complemented when they showed obvious faults (we've all seen much betterbird shots, including those posted by Dawg himself. Dawg, I usually like your shooting very much, and I'm glad that at least you understood the true nature of my post.
I did indeed David and no hurt feelings here. Yes this lens will shoot much better photos than these. It is a bright day lens when used at 500mm. The fact that I'm getting better and better detail is the reason they are congratulating me. The detail is comming even though I've not had many sunny days lately. The detail is getting better because I'm learning step by step how this lens needs to be. If you get a long lens...Let's say a 400 or 500mm one one day you will begin to understand and appreciate the skill some of the posters here in these forums have in using those lenses. Skill knowledge and mastery of technique I might add. It is not a point and shoot kind of thing either and I, in my Dawg way approach this in a step by step method. I could get someone to just tell me everything but I want to do it this way. So please feel free to tell me what you think Good or bad. I really appreciate the input from all sources!

Dawg
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:19 AM   #15

Very cool, and understood. Sorry for the interruption.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:54 AM   #16

David French wrote:
Quote:
Very cool, and understood. Sorry for the interruption.
No inturuption at all David. Thank you for stopping by and giving an honest apraisal!

Dawg

Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:17 AM   #17

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this lens. After watching you learn and share I picked up one myself! It arrived today along with a monopod and tripod. I went back to the pond and tried some shots with the monopod which I'll probably share later.

Just one question (for now), when you manual focus, do you change the switch on the lens and the camera? Thanks.

--John

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:21 AM   #18

Yes I do. The camera will not manual focus with out that nor will the lens. Just move the camera to manual focus and pull the focus ring back on the lens. Hope to see some photos and learn along with you.

Dawg
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:51 PM   #19

Results are getting better all the time, much sharper than the early efforts.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:56 PM   #20

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Results are getting better all the time, much sharper than the early efforts.

Ira
Thank you Ira...I keep trying!

Dawg