Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:30 PM   #1

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:20 PM   #2

Hi Dawg,
great shots, i like No. 2 most.
The bird is looking at little snobbish at you.
:-).

great lens and TC combination.
I think I'll have to fly to Vegas, while i am in California, to win some money for a little bit LBA

bye alex
albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:29 PM   #3

Looking Good BD!!!

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:35 PM   #4

Forgive me, but all these images you've been posting lately look terribly soft an overly contrasty. Now, I have no experience with super long lenses like this, so I'm wondering, is this just all you can expect from that category of lens? Again, please forgive me for being so negative, but I just wonder why so many people are complementing these seemingly bad images.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:09 PM   #5

Because in this forum we push each others forwards in stead of putting down.

Kjel
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:25 PM   #6

Just curious: are these taken handheld? I noticed ISO800, F6.7, 1/60s at 500mm.
Considering the 1.4 TC, it would mean F9.5? and 700mm. Not too shabby.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:49 PM   #7
TDN

nr 5 is spot on, Ed!

Does the bigma still autofocus ok with that TC attached? Seems like a small aperture to AF...:shock:

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:06 PM   #8

albreca wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,
great shots, i like No. 2 most.
The bird is looking at little snobbish at you.
:-).

great lens and TC combination.
I think I'll have to fly to Vegas, while i am in California, to win some money for a little bit LBA

bye alex
Thank you Alex. I am afraid though that LBA will outstrip any winnings you might have. LOL

Dawg
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:07 PM   #9

thepusher wrote:
Quote:
Looking Good BD!!!

-thepusher
Thank you Pusher. I am getting there but I've a long ways to go yet.

Dawg
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:32 PM   #10

David French wrote:
Quote:
Forgive me, but all these images you've been posting lately look terribly soft an overly contrasty. Now, I have no experience with super long lenses like this, so I'm wondering, is this just all you can expect from that category of lens? Again, please forgive me for being so negative, but I just wonder why so many people are complementing these seemingly bad images.
You are new here or at least new to me. They are aplauding the fact that I am continually getting better and better with this lens. And doing so in adverse conditions I might add. There are many settings and variables that go into shooting small birds from a long distance. They include not only the camera and lens combination but the available light, how long the subject will sit still, whether you were ablre to use a tripod or do it hand held(IS helps but is not an end all) how wide an aperture you are able to use to get the shot without the movement of the camera or the subject ruining the sharpness of the photo. Also whether the sharp detail or the softer focus is what the photographer("Artist") was shooting for! The variables and the permutations of those variables would stagger the mind if you really had to think about it. I'm trying to master these a step at a time and I post most of what I shoot to garner either info on how to do it better or positive reinforcement of the fact that I am going in the right direction! That is how we and I have always tried to do it here. So feel free to ask that question but until you have used this lens camera combo and gotten shots like that second one (of a bird about the size of your thumb) hand held and from 40-60 feet away you will never really understand the amount of luck and knowledge and skill needed to get really sharp photos on a dark rainy day! This lens has a fairly wide aperture and is medium fast as far as getting the subject before it moves but the whole list of other variables comes into play and I am slowly getting better and better with sharper and sharper photos. If at any time they do not meet your approval or you see a way in which I can do a better job please speak up and say something. But if all you can say is those stink then you are not helping and someone with a more fragile ego than mine might be discouraged! As I said I post at lest 15 to 20 percent of my photos here and not just the ones I was lucky enough or skillful enough to get into pristine condition. I'm not about impressing anyone but more about learning to do better. Any help there from you is appreciated! Don't mind the question at all. Sorry if they in some way have displeased you....But I will continue posting them as I go along trying to master this lens and camera combo! You have a nice day now Ya' Heah?

Dawg