Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1

To anyone that can help:

I got the Pentax AF-360 flach for Christmas to use on istDS...specifically since it supported P-TTL. My exposures from Christmas and a couple of events since seem generally underexposed 1 or more stops, but sometimes OK.

I am just digging in to figure this out and see lots of posts on other forums of similar experiences. I know there are some issues with a reflective subject (not my case) and some have said to link AE with AF, which I haven't tried yet.

Is there any official workaround for this seemingly poorly-impemented P-TTL? A mode on the flash works well, but P-TTL is billed as more accurate (and zoom does not work in A mode)?

Any guidence is welcome.
rar2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:41 PM   #2

I have a DS and a K10D-I bought a used AF500 ftz on Ebay for the DS-works good-not great-tried using that flash on the K10D and everything was blown out. So when I need flash I use the DS-otherwise it's the K10D
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:32 PM   #3

Push the camera's menu button and go to your Custom Settings Screen. Near the bottom of the screen there is a setting for "Link AF Point and AE". The default setting is a number 1. Change it to number 2. I have a K100D and an AF360 flash and was told to do this and it improved things considerablywhen the flash is in P-TTL mode. I still find some underexposed shots but not to the degree they werebefore I tried this setting. Also on the flash there is a dial with a little button in the center. In P-TTL mode push that little button and then turn the dial. You will see the flash compensation setting move up or down. Move it up to .5 or 1.0. You can also increase the flash compensation on the camera, I think it's on the second screen of the record menu. Here you can increase flash comp. by .3, .7, or 1.0. You can use these in combination to increase the flash exposure.

As analternative to P-TTL, try the flash in A (Auto) mode instead of P-TTL. This does not use a pre-flash and relys on the sensor in the flash unit instead of off the cameras sensor. It gives better results, but you have to manually setF stop, ISO, and Focal length on the flash's screen to match whatyou have your camera set for. So you should set your camera in Av mode, choose an aperature you thinkwould give you the best depth of field for the subject you are shooting. Choose a specific ISO on the camera rather than using the Auto ISO setting. Then set the flash F and ISO to bethe same as what you set the camera for. You may also want to set the flash focal length to match what lens you have on the camera. Good luck!
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:50 PM   #4

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
I have a DS and a K10D-I bought a used AF500 ftz on Ebay for the DS-works good-not great-tried using that flash on the K10D and everything was blown out.* So when I need flash I use the DS-otherwise it's the K10D
Hi DMJJR,

The 500 FTZ works on the DS because the DS has the extra sensor in the lightbox that's required for TTL flash and the K10 doesn't and requires a P-TTL flash to meter the flash through the lens. Unfortunately, the 500 FTZ doesn't also have an Auto mode, so the only way that you can use it with the K10 is in fully manual mode. I've always felt that it was strange that they omitted the Auto mode in this otherwise excellent flash unit.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote