Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:34 PM   #1

I was getting out of the car to get the mail this afternoon when this guy buzzed by and lit in a tree 50 yards or so away. Fortunately, I already had a 300mm lens mounted on the camera and the camera set to RAW. I tried to get closer, but he was having none of it--got 3-4 shots, all basically like this one. 100% crop. Camera settings were awful because I had it set for shooting in a difficult gym and I was too excited and in too much of a hurry to think of checking it. ISO-1600, F5.6, 1/4000, @ 300mm. Lens was the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.

I think it's a sharp-shinned hawk, but a Cooper's hawk is also possible. I also might be wrong on both. This is the first hawk I've been able to shoot in my neighborhood.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:44 PM   #2

paul??
yuk,,
i'll join you tho..
we can make this the post your worse pic thread..
king fisher with 500/4.5 + 2x TC.

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:51 PM   #3

Roy, oh, I know it's not a good shot. I was just excited to get a shot of a hawk in this area at all, especially considering the shoooting circumstances. I hope he's going to take up residence around here, and I'll get a chance to get closer for a better one now that I know he's in the neighborhood. I was looking for a little help on what type of hawk he might be.

Paul
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:09 PM   #4

Hi TS,

I'd say Sharp-Shinned because of the squarish tail, but I haven't been able to shoot many hawks because they seem to be too photographer savvy around here -- so my raptor ID skills are lacking real life practice.

They'll let me get reasonably close, but as soon as I start to move the camera to my eye, even in sloooooowwwww motion, they fly off and land just far enough away to be out of range, but close enough for me to feel obligated to try again. . . then the whole thing repeats itself. . .:O

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:53 PM   #5

paul,
i knew that.. these raptors are very few and far between. i probably only have ten to date.. i did get a couple last year when one showed up while i was shooting a green backed heron's nest. hopefully the heron's will be back this year. here's a truly lucky shot of a red shouldered hawk. i got 2 when he came in..

roy
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:06 PM   #6

I like it Paul. You have to be out looking for the hawks on nearly a daily basis to ever get good shots...Or be lucky!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:27 PM   #7

That's a nice red shouldered hawk, Roy. I've gotten a couple of them sitting on either power lines or a tree a few miles down the road from our house. Unfortunately, like today, the long lens I had in the car was my Tamron 70-300, which at the extreme ends is prone to purple fringing. (again, a pretty significant crop)

I've been occasionally seeing a red shouldered hawk about a quarter-mile away across the woods forthe last month or so, but he hasn't flown anywherenear to close enough to shoot so far.

That's why I enjoyed last weekend getting to shoot raptors up close and personal at the local raptor education program.

Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:03 AM   #8

P,
is the lens you are using one of the newer tamrons?? the CA is horrible and more pronounced than what i'd expect from a newer lens..

roy
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:58 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
P,
is the lens you are using one of the newer tamrons?? the CA is horrible and more pronounced than what i'd expect from a newer lens..

roy
It is one of the newer ones, a Di LD series. These two pics happen to be two of the least flattering examples I could choose of shots taken with this lens. CA is not a problem with 95% of the shots I've taken with this lens, but the combination of shooting upwards into a gray sky at a distant bird sitting on a tree branch seems to bring out the worst in this lens (one of the reasons I don't normally use it for bird photography--both of these shots were "opportunity" shots that I had to use the lens that was already mounted on the camera).

I keep a Hoya HMC UV(0) filter mounted on the lens as a protective filter. Could some of the CA be coming from it?

When put under other lighting conditions, the lens performs well. As an example, I was shooting a speaker yesterday in a gymnasium (ISO 1600, Av mode, +0.7 EV, at 300mm, shutter at 1/30--thank you SR)

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:56 AM   #10

i doubt it. i've been using that filter forever and think it's the best bang for the buck. with the birds it's probably distance and crop factor.. thing is it's still showing quite a bit in the portrait..
the kingfisher i posted had some in it also but i got rid of it..

roy