Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:09 PM   #11

ed,
are you using any kind of support?? tri or monopod??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:09 PM   #12

haven't got caught with a DP in awhile...
oh well

roy
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:30 PM   #13

Almost there Ed, these images are much sharper, I wish I could get some small bird shots but the feeder is too close to my front door (and there is too much snow to wait outside).

I also have no lens to match that focal length (a 100-300mm FA zoom with a low quality Takumar 2X tlelconverter makes for a very poor 600mm f11).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:01 PM   #14

these i got last spring i think. probably just after they molted..
pretty sad looking cardinals..

roy
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:39 PM   #15

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Ed, I am really impressed by your commitment and your improvement with these shots!

Your compositions are getting very good, nice and close, no more branches in the way.

Also your focusing technique is improving exponentially!

Keep 'em coming!

Tom
Thank you Tom...A tripod and taking more time to get the focus right helps tremendously! I miss three times the shots but taking the time is one secret to this. Especially in the cloudy days. These were in partial sunlight so they were a little easier.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:43 PM   #16

robar wrote:
Quote:
ed,
are you using any kind of support?? tri or monopod??

roy
I can use the tripod for about half of them Roy, especially the ones at the feeder. The ones on the branches are too straight up most of the time though I have a few limbs that are lower and allow me to shoot them when they land to wait their turn at the feeder. Seems like they are getting used to me and I plan on getting just off the porch to see if I can move a little closer every day. Wish me luck!

Dawg

Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:47 PM   #17

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Almost there Ed, these images are much sharper, I wish I could get some small bird shots but the feeder is too close to my front door (and there is too much snow to wait outside).

I also have no lens to match that focal length (a 100-300mm FA zoom with a low quality Takumar 2X tlelconverter makes for a very poor 600mm f11).

Ira
You'll get there one day Ira. If not for the generosity of a kind soul I would still be using a 300mm and a TCON myself. It does make a difference but it also is not as easy as some would have you to believe. I gain more respect every day for those that can use these long lenses and get consistently good photos.

Dawg
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:52 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
these i got last spring i think. probably just after they molted..
pretty sad looking cardinals..

roy
OOOH! Bad case of feather loss there Roy. But you did get a sharp photo none the less. I'm having a hard time as the cloudy dreary days of winter have set in here. But I know the bright days of spring will arrive soon. I can hardly wait to get some greenery in the photo as a color contrast to the red. I am in the process of posting a few photos of the feeder and the trees with some cardinals for you to see. Look for your name tied to the post Roy! Just a way to say thanks to you for all your help. Also to brag of the number of cardinals that are here...LOL Count was up to 15 at one time today!

Dawg

Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:27 PM   #19

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I gain more respect every day for those that can use these long lenses and get consistently good photos.
No one gets that. In an old thread I told about the Swedish pro who was asked by an American publisher to go to the Antarctis and shoot penguins (all expenses paid, just imagine...). In an interview he told that he had shot 100 000 frames, and found 128 good enough for the book.

So patience is a necessary ingredientfor success. Only 99732 try outs to go, Ed!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:33 PM   #20

Wow! That is over 2700 rollls of 36 exposure film. I'd be happy to use digital just so I didn't have to lug that around.

bigdawg: These are looking good! I don't have anything as long as the Bigma but I just got an A* 300mm F4 (and upgraded to a K10D) and it is taking a while to learn telephoto. Unfortunately, here in Wisconsin there isn't much out in the cold weather we've been having and while I can drive the country roads I can't pull off for fear of getting stuck so it is fun trying to shoot the rear bird I come across while watching the rear view mirror. I can't wait for spring.
cvig is offline   Reply With Quote