Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:59 AM   #21

cvig,wrote:
Quote:
Wow! That is over 2700 rollls of 36 exposure film. I'd be happy to use digital just so I didn't have to lug that around.

bigdawg: These are looking good! I don't have anything as long as the Bigma but I just got an A* 300mm F4 (and upgraded to a K10D) and it is taking a while to learn telephoto. Unfortunately, here in Wisconsin there isn't much out in the cold weather we've been having and while I can drive the country roads I can't pull off for fear of getting stuck so it is fun trying to shoot the rear bird I come across while watching the rear view mirror. I can't wait for spring.
ccvig,
the *300/4 is a great lens. one thing tho, it's a tough lens to learn so don't get discouraged when you first start shooting with it..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:48 AM   #22

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I gain more respect every day for those that can use these long lenses and get consistently good photos.
No one gets that. In an old thread I told about the Swedish pro who was asked by an American publisher to go to the Antarctis and shoot penguins (all expenses paid, just imagine...). In an interview he told that he had shot 100 000 frames, and found 128 good enough for the book.

So patience is a necessary ingredientfor success. Only 99732 try outs to go, Ed!

Kjell
Thanks Kjell. I fully understand patience. With my Kung Fu I learned to be very patient and do the things needed to learn the art. I have been practicing that since 1982. It comes with patience and persistence. My Dad used to say a quitter never could. I've shot over 22,000 photos this year with the K10D and am still learning every day about the camera. The Bigma just gives me more to learn and I will. All you Guys and Gals have been my inspiration to do better as I see your work and know there are better photos to be taken. Thank you!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:01 AM   #23

cvig wrote:
Quote:
Wow! That is over 2700 rollls of 36 exposure film. I'd be happy to use digital just so I didn't have to lug that around.

bigdawg: These are looking good! I don't have anything as long as the Bigma but I just got an A* 300mm F4 (and upgraded to a K10D) and it is taking a while to learn telephoto. Unfortunately, here in Wisconsin there isn't much out in the cold weather we've been having and while I can drive the country roads I can't pull off for fear of getting stuck so it is fun trying to shoot the rear bird I come across while watching the rear view mirror. I can't wait for spring.
Patience my friend as Kjell just said will get you there. Shoot what is available to you to get the lens and camera combo dialed in before spring gets here. shoot at 20-60 foot distance and get sharp images with a fast focus. Manual focus practice will do you in good stead. Auto focus works in bright sun but the small birds like the shadows and shade so Auto focus is not always an option. A long lens is not as easy to get sharp photos as a wide angle lens. Too many variables to get in the way of sharp photos. That A*300mm is a very very good lens and you should be proud to own one as they are getting rarer and rarer. I love the country you live in. The wife and I made a trip around Lake Michigan to shoot the lighthouses back in 20001 and styed in Port Washington so I could visit the plant that built my Magna-Trac crawler over in Cedarburg Wiconsin. Then went to Fish Creek where I had the Best White Fish and Frys I'll ever have! Beautiful all the way...Only thing was my camera bit the dust the first day so photos of the Light Houses was out. Would love to make the trip again some day with my K10 along!

Dawg

Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:02 AM   #24

robar wrote:
Quote:
cvig,wrote:
Quote:

ccvig,
the *300/4 is a great lens. one thing tho, it's a tough lens to learn so don't get discouraged when you first start shooting with it..

roy
I agree with what Roy said...Be patient and keep trying!

Dawg

Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:45 PM   #25

Dawg,
I am late to this thread but I wanted to add that I think those are the best shots you have posted yet from your Bigma. Practice is paying off for you here.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:54 PM   #26

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Dawg,
I am late to this thread but I wanted to add that I think those are the best shots you have posted yet from your Bigma. Practice is paying off for you here.

Tim
Better late than never Tim. Thanks man I appreciate that...Bud light for all...wait a minute...I'm an Icehouse man!! LOL

Dawg

Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:58 AM   #27

Veryredheads

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:52 AM   #28

simowills wrote:
Quote:
Veryredheads

Simon
Thank you Simon!