Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:24 AM   #11

I was more interested in knowing the difference between DA and FA because, i had two combinations for purchase on my mind...

Combination1:
SMCP-DA18mm - 55mmf/3.5-5.6USD 84
SMCP-FA50mmf/1.4USD 195
Total = USD 279

Combination2:
SMCP-FA28-105mmf/3.2-4.5USD 209
SMCP-FA50mmf/1.4USD 195
Total = USD 404

So, for an extra USD 125 I get a better zoom lens both aperture wise and range wise.

My budget is USD 1000.

WOuld you recommend combination 1 or 2..... or given that the budget is USD 1000 can somebody advice any other lens combination?

Consider me to be a beginner, who loves nature photography, and i love land scapes.

Now the entire combination thing becomes only theoritical because, adorama is mean

I actually had to 'check out' to get a message that its out of stock. Atleast BHPhoto tells it on your face that its not available.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 5:36 AM   #12

Combination 2 gives you a very nice zoom but you lose your wide angle. 28mm on an APS-C sized sensor, which Pentax has, is only a "normal" lens. The 18-55mm of Combination 1 gives you a wide angle which is very handy for everything from landscapes to small rooms.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:15 PM   #13

A bit more about lenses:

DA lenses do not have an aperture ring (aperture has to be controlled by camera)
FAJ lenses also do not have an aperture ring
FA lenses do have an aperture ring, so you can either put it on the A setting and let the camera control the aperture, or set the aperture on the lens and use it in M mode, just like a manual lens, while the first two can't.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:26 PM   #14

i don't type so i'll let the others explain. i just wanted you to know that a few of us remember when monza76(ira) was in your boat.. ira, how long after you started posting was it that you actually got a pentax dslr.. and now, how many of them are in the house?? of course this was in a time when your post would stay in the top 5 for days.. NOT because it was popular but because it could take a couple days for a response.. how times have changed.. NN , hang in there.. it'll work out..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:13 PM   #15

Now, that is very very encouraging. Thank you very much.

Walking down the memory lane is always very refreshing huh?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:00 AM   #16

robar wrote:
Quote:
i don't type so i'll let the others explain. i just wanted you to know that a few of us remember when monza76(ira) was in your boat.. ira, how long after you started posting was it that you actually got a pentax dslr.. and now, how many of them are in the house?? of course this was in a time when your post would stay in the top 5 for days.. NOT because it was popular but because it could take a couple days for a response.. how times have changed.. NN , hang in there.. it'll work out..

roy
Started posting in 2004 (on the Fuji forum mostly since my "big" camera was a Fuji S7000, now it is my youngest son's), received an *istDL for Christmas 2005 from my lovely wife. Now have the DL, a *istDS (from a member here) and my wife Annette has a K100D Super. I have a great collection of new and used lenses, only one of which cost more than $150 (most were less than $100 from a popular auction site).

I remember when this was one of the smallest DSLR forums, now it is the most active. All in the past four years.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:06 AM   #17

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
Started posting in 2004 (on the Fuji forum mostly since my "big" camera was a Fuji S7000, now it is my youngest son's), received an *istDL for Christmas 2005 from my lovely wife. Now have the DL, a *istDS (from a member here) and my wife Annette has a K100D Super. I have a great collection of new and used lenses, only one of which cost more than $150 (most were less than $100 from a popular auction site).

I remember when this was one of the smallest DSLR forums, now it is the most active. All in the past four years.

Ira
Wow you are right about this being this is the most active dslr forum on this board. I remember when I got my DS, the Pentax board was dead and back then we could buy the manual 50mm f/1.4 or the f/1.7 for about $30 on ebay.

OP,
I am glad you started this thread, it is very helpful for new Pentaxian that will join this board. When I first got my DS, I was also confused about the different types of Lens that Pentax had.

I vote to make this thread a "sticky".
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:08 AM   #18

ira, i too started out in the fuji forum in '04. i just didn't post much.. i'd had the s7000 for a few months and then the DS came out and.........

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:34 AM   #19

If this thread will be made a sticky... theres a lot to be edited on the first post i guess.

Requesting mods to go ahead and permit any body they deem fit to edit. Else, any suggestions and i'll edit them so that its more complete for a new pentaxian ready for LBA.

The sudden spike in the Pentax forum is definitely because of the K10D and its siblings.

I was having a small chat with my dad, he 'was' a hobbyist and used to shoot for local mags back in the 1980s. Had his own light room... i have around 3000 photoes of my childhood!! He was and is a nikon lover. Its hard to change elders' opinions.

I already faced a barrage of questions regarding my choice... The stuff comes from the US... so i could not keep it a secret you see Once i have the K10D in my hands,i've got some tough time getting the pentax 'up there' to the nikon level in my dads eyes.