Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:24 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thank you everyone. Looks like we won't be risking any cameras and will just be watching and listening.:-)

With all my internet experience, it never crossed my mind that their web page would tell me if we could bring cameras in or not. I had forgotten that I just attended my cousin's concert in October where I used my camera. But, I also had a backstage pass and it was a very small stage. All I remembered was of about 200 photos taken from backstage or right up front, I got about 6 keepers.

Quote:
And, Jay, no, I will not be bringing ear plugs.:shock: How could you do such a thing at an Elton John concert! I remember my first concert ever was to see him and KiKi Dee back in probably 1973. Guess we have different tastes in music :lol: Or, were you just saying that because we will probably be deaf afterwards? That might not be a bad idea.
Patty,

I am a great fan of Elton John myself! My recommendation for ear plugs was to alleviate the deafness you will likely suffer from after the concert!! Between the volume of the music and the roar of the cheering audience, the last concert I attended at the US Bank Arena in Cincinnati left my ears ringing for 2 days!!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 PM   #12

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
My husband got us tickets to go see Elton John in a month.* We will be sitting straight across from the stage at the bottom row of the "bleacher" seats.* I have no idea the distance.* Here's a link to the seating charts -*http://www.verizonwirelessarena.com/...nfo/charts.asp*

Is it worth bringing my camera?* I have the K100 with the 50-200mm lens.* I've never been there before, so not sure how easy it might be to walk up closer during the concert.* Haven't been to a concert in close to 25 years!* Not even sure they'll let me in with this camera.* Might have to resort to my husband's Canon G-9.

Any advice on settings, etc would be appreciated.* And, even advice not to bother bringing the camera if it's not worth it.

I was glad about the seat location at first, because we wouldn't get sore necks from watching sideways or have to look over people's heads, but found out yesterday that they say this stadium has no bad seats.* Even behind the stage is great.

Oh, forgot to say where we're sitting.* Section 124, row A.

Thanks, Patty
Patty

Given the distance from your seat to the stage and the short 200mm lens you have, it is better off that you get G9. Flash is out the question.
At least you will be let in without any hassling .
Enjoy the concert unless you have a media pass

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:49 PM   #13

Jay - well then I take back what I was thinking about you :lol: I guess you aren't so bad after all! I will definitely consider the ear plugs. The last concert of his I went to was outdoors. And, my tender 50 year old ears aren't up to being blasted. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Daniel. Since my husband only got the G9 on Sunday, I don't think I could talk him into taking a chance on losing it. We'll see.

Sounds like I may just have to go and enjoy the music only!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:00 AM   #14

Patty, I was just reading through this & was wondering if there is any chance that you might know someone at the local paper or TV station that might get you a press pass if you explained the circumstances. Maybe if you convinced them that you would write a review of the concert....

Just an idea!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:20 PM   #15

Thanks for the idea, Ron. Might just work.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:41 AM   #16

If you can't get a dSLR into the concert, go for a ultra zoom consumer DigiCam. I was very surprised when I found that most security folks would allow my Olympus 770UZ because it was "so small" and "just another of those point and shoot" thingies. :-) Maybe you can borrow it from some1 just for that evening... A mode to set f=lowest, ISO fixed at 100, take some spare rechargeables and a huge XD card with you and off you go.

38-380/2.8-3.7 at ISO 100 (noise in low light is very bad with that cam) gives a nice toy. Swiveling LCD would be nice, but you can't have everything.

Just make sure the digicam doesn't look like a "real camera" (body = SLR style) and you might be lucky.

Another choice just to take some photos of the scenery: Fuji low light capable pocketable 3* zoom camera. Can shoot upto ISO 800 with little to no noise, good and fast enough for some quick shots for sure.

Enjoy the concert!

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote