Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:53 AM   #1

My husband got us tickets to go see Elton John in a month. We will be sitting straight across from the stage at the bottom row of the "bleacher" seats. I have no idea the distance. Here's a link to the seating charts -http://www.verizonwirelessarena.com/...nfo/charts.asp

Is it worth bringing my camera? I have the K100 with the 50-200mm lens. I've never been there before, so not sure how easy it might be to walk up closer during the concert. Haven't been to a concert in close to 25 years! Not even sure they'll let me in with this camera. Might have to resort to my husband's Canon G-9.

Any advice on settings, etc would be appreciated. And, even advice not to bother bringing the camera if it's not worth it.

I was glad about the seat location at first, because we wouldn't get sore necks from watching sideways or have to look over people's heads, but found out yesterday that they say this stadium has no bad seats. Even behind the stage is great.

Oh, forgot to say where we're sitting. Section 124, row A.

Thanks, Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:35 AM   #2

Hi Patty,

Take a look at the arena football setup of the stadium and it appears that you will be about 150 feet from the stage (on the close end) and about 172 fee (on the far end - using some geometry a**2 + b**2 = c**2). The arena footbally field is 150 feet by 85 feet. The field of view for the 50-200 lens is 8.1 degrees wide (from the lens spec).

So using http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm for some calculations (because I was lazy) the depth of field at 200mm f5.6 would be 41 feet or (113 feet to 170 feet). The field of view would be about 18 feet wide by 12 feet tall. So a 6 foot person would fill about half the frame in height, and maybe 1/10 the frame in width.

I know nothing about the rest - if they permit cameras, and with the lighting and distance if it would be worthwild.

Hope that helps.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:41 AM   #3

I have been to the Verizon Center for quite a few concerts-no chance of getting the camera into the facility. They do a search of all womens handbags-it will be confiscated. If you husband can hide the G9 in his coat you would be better off- if they find that they will take that also. Your equipment would be considered professional. I have used my wife's Canon Elph-the shots weren't worth the aggravation or worry. Sorry.

Dave (In NH)
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:43 AM   #4

Hi Patty

There are 2 main issues when taking photos at a concert:

1) The distance you are from the stage - I saw Bowie in the early 70s and was so far away that the figures on the stage were tiny. I took a few pics with my SLR but even with the 200mm lens they were rubbish.

2) The amount of available light. I don't need to tell you that, unless you're in the very front row, a flash is totally useless. So the advice I was given on this forum was to go for the fastest lens you've got.

Other than that boost the ISO as high as you can (bearing in mind the trade-off between high ISO and noise). This will allow a faster shutter speed. Of course, as Elton John tends to sit down at the piano a high speed might not be too important.

As far as taking a camera I found this on the website:

"
The permitted use of cameras varies by event. However, cameras with professional lenses, detachable lenses or detachable flashes are prohibited from the Verizon Wireless Arena. Use of video cameras, audio recording devices and digital cameras in video mode is strictly prohibited in the arena. The use of any of these items will result in confiscation and possible ejection from the arena."

So I guess it all depends on how strictly they enforce the "detachable lens" bit; assuming that the event allows cameras in the frist place. To misquote Dirty Harry "Well, do you feel lucky?"

If it was me, I'd probably take the Canon

Finally (and I speak from experience) - ENJOY!!! :-D

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
TDN

In Belgium, they do not let you in with a DSLR without a press pass...

If you do get in, a few tips I can give you are: shoot RAW, use a shutter speed that is fast enough (the SR won't stop the movement of the artists), I mostly use 1/125. (you can check the full exif of my images here, with exif viewer , do note that all of those where taken in the frontstage press area, or on the stage itself)

You'll probably have to use ISO 1600 with a slow lens like the DA 50-200mm. Another reason to shoot RAW. It'll be easier to correct the exposure afterwards, after which you can do some noise reduction.

Happy shooting, and most of all, enjoy the music

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty,

I'd leave the camera home and take ear plugs instead:blah:

Enjoy the show!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:44 PM   #7

Hi Patty

Heres the Info straight from their web site

Cameras
The permitted use of cameras varies by event. However, cameras with professional lenses, detachable lenses or detachable flashes are prohibited from the Verizon Wireless Arena. Use of video cameras, audio recording devices and digital cameras in video mode is strictly prohibited in the arena. The use of any of these items will result in confiscation and possible ejection from the arena.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:17 PM   #8

Thank you everyone. Looks like we won't be risking any cameras and will just be watching and listening.:-)

With all my internet experience, it never crossed my mind that their web page would tell me if we could bring cameras in or not. I had forgotten that I just attended my cousin's concert in October where I used my camera. But, I also had a backstage pass and it was a very small stage. All I remembered was of about 200 photos taken from backstage or right up front, I got about 6 keepers.

And, Jay, no, I will not be bringing ear plugs.:shock: How could you do such a thing at an Elton John concert! I remember my first concert ever was to see him and KiKi Dee back in probably 1973. Guess we have different tastes in music :lol: Or, were you just saying that because we will probably be deaf afterwards? That might not be a bad idea.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:46 PM   #9

For the price of a concert ticket now days they should loan you a good camera not take them away.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:48 AM   #10

I totally agree, tjsnaps. I couldn't believe how much my husband told me this is costing us. But, I guess not have been to a concert since probably 1982 it averages out. Right?????