Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:43 AM   #1

I was in Costco last night and noticed they now sell Sanyo Eneloop batteries for about $22.00 for 6 aa + 2aaa. I looked them over and they are rated at 2000 mAH. I bought a set of Sanyo NI-MH batteries there a while back that also included a charger and was about $18.00 then,same assortment.

My question is the NI-MH batteries are rated at 2500 mAH. So will you actually get more shots with them condsidering they are both fully charged. I have seen some NI-MH batteries rated as high as 3000 mAH. I know the Eneloops have a longer self life and the newer techology, but seem to be a smaller rating. To bad they don't make the assortment just 8 aa's- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

Get them from Circuit City. 8-pack for $14.96

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo...oductDetail.do
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:28 PM   #3

Hi Bruce:

It ends up being a calculus question with the main variable being how you generally shoot. If you do a lot of planned photoshoots, where you basically use up a freshly charged set of batteries in one day, the the higher rated NiMH would probably serve you better.

If your cameraa sits in the bag a lot, and you when you take it out, you shoot maybe 50-100 shots, then the camera sits until the next time you decide to use it, then the Eneloops make sense, since they hold a greater percentage of charge over a longer period of time. The Eneloops (or any other hybrid), even though they have a lower mah rating, might retain enough extra charge to negate the higher ratings of NiMHs which self discharge relatively quickly when not being used. It's really dependent on how you use your camera.

I personally shoot both scenarios, so I use Eneloops and Hybrids pretty much exclusively (I still have about 10 sets of NiMHs which get used occasionally also). I used to charge my batteries every day just to be assured that I'd be starting the day with fresh batteries, but now I just note the shot number when I put a fresh set in, and change them out after 400-500 shots (on my DS). I standardized on this because that's when I change out my K10 battery also.

For some metaphysical reason, batteries always seem to die at the most inopportune time -- I just don't give them a chance anymore. . .

BTW, I usually buy Rayovac Hybrids at WalMart [email protected] $8.95.set of 4, and have see the Hybrios for $9.95/set4. Eneloops are usually $12.95/set/4, but I did pick up a set at Circuit City on sale for $ 8.95

BTW II -- A good charger is at least as important as good batteries. I have a Maha C104 that charges an individual battery on a separate circuit as opposed to a charger that charges in pairs. This ensures that each battery is charged fully. The 2 circuit for 4 battery chargers will cut off when the stronger of the pair reaches full charge, and the other battery doesn't get it's full meal. If battery life is a priority consideration, a good charger will give you a lot more security.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:14 PM   #4

agree 100% with scott. what i've experienced is that the NiMh after they.ve been charged a lot loose their ability to maintain that charge. also age makes a difference.. theNiMh in time will loose their charge in a matter of days.. come april i'll do a recap about the 4 sets of Hybrids i've been using for the past year.. what i got last april was 864 shots over a 4week period out of the package. i recharged them and got 1200 shots using the flash about 50 times over a 4 week period. there in NO WAY NiMh would have done that even tho these are rated at 2100mah.. i've seen 2500 hybrids at fry's electronics.. but i just don't need them..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:17 PM   #5

one other thing. even when showing hal full i have never had a set of hybrids go out on me when i'm in the field..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:22 PM   #6

My year and a half old regular NIHM batteries don't seem to hold a charge past a few days any longer either. The hybrids are half as old but that is what I will be buying in the future.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:55 PM   #7

Same experience here as the others: regular NiMh get recharged far too often which causes their lifespan to go south. I cannot definitely say the Eneloops or Hybrids (used both for the past year or so) are better - no scientific measurement - but it seems that they fit my use better. I usually have an extra set in the bag all the time (which I rotate from time to time). I estimate that my recharges went down 50% from regulars. With regular NiMh I used to recharge them before a shoot just to make sure they are loaded. Not much with the others since I know the backup set is at least 70% good.

I recently got the K10D and I will use them for flash, P&S or my kids toys.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:59 PM   #8

This doesn't answer the OP's question, but I also saw my local Costco selling the Eneloop Power Pack (8x AAs, 4x AAAs, 2x AA-to-C adapters, 2x AA-to-D adapters, and charger) going for about $26.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:23 PM   #9

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
This doesn't answer the OP's question, but I also saw my local Costco selling the Eneloop Power Pack (8x AAs, 4x AAAs, 2x AA-to-C adapters, 2x AA-to-D adapters, and charger) going for about $26.

- Jason
I work at costco! :blah:

Yes we sell that package with in the nice blue box.

I've also bought a set of the Eneloop at Costco when they had it on sale a few months ago. I've heard many great things about these batteries and always wanted to try it for myself. The batteries that I've been using were the one from Frys Electronics, called Lenmar rated 2500mAh. When I switched to the Sanyo, I noticed that I can do about 2 days worth of shot only before I have to charge it. Which was strange because I typically do 4-5 days worth of shot with my Lenmar battery.

I know shooting habbits varies depending on what you shoot, but when I switched back to the Lenmar, I got my typical 4-5 days worth of shot back again. I don't know if the set of Sanyo was a lemon or something but the Lenmar works better for me. I retired the Sanyo at an earily age and use it for emergency battery for flash lights.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:59 AM   #10

Good information. I notice now the Sanyo standardsare rated at 2700 mAH's, so have gone up a little in mAH's since Ibought them. I don't think Costco has the standard ones anymore. It sounds like the standard batteries still give more shots if you keep them charged. That would make sense, since the Eneloops are only rated at 2000 mAH's. I wonder how this compares with the highbred batteries that some our using now?

I have found my best performance came from the Everyready Lithium's, but at about the same price as rechargeables, you only get one use out of them. With the newer high mAh rechargeables that may not be true any more- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote