Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:23 PM   #11

All good ones guys...They are so fast that you have to be pushing the shutter before they even look like the are going to take off!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:15 AM   #12

I'm so glad you started this thread on small BIF. This is probably my favorite subject for shooting. And, like many have mentioned, one of the most challenging, too. Tracking these guys is next to impossible, as they jump and turn and dive and spin. It's not like just panning with the bigger birds. The shooting settings are filled with compromise – too large of an aperture and they never seem to be in the area of focus. To small, and you can't get a fast enough shutter speed. For most of this set, I used full manual, including manual focus at f5.6 and 1/1000 sec and my Sigma 70-300 APO DG.

I set the ISO to 280, which I'm a bit embarrassed to say, I found I could do by accident. I didn't know that you could choose1/2 or 1/3 ISO steps until I was looking at the shooting info on some shots I took experimenting with the TAv mode. I noticed that it had used ISO 280 and the shots turned out great. "ISO 280?", I thought. So, I checked the manual and found where I could modify the ISO steps. I settled on the1/2 steps. ISO 200 is always a little too slow and 400 on the CCD imager is a little too grainy for my tastes.

I set it to continuous shot, of course, and shoot up a 2 GB card – almost 400 shots. On BIF shots, specifically, I usually get less than 10% keepers. Many of the shots are nothing but trees! But I do shoot some stills in there, too, so, my total keep ratio ends up around 30%, I guess.

I guess you could say I do cheat a bit by setting out a bunch of peanuts, which the Jays love and come for almost immediately. Anyway, I've babbled on enough here, I guess, so here they are………..

PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:13 PM   #13

PinonMesaJon

I would love to do bif shots with shorter FL which gives better depth of field. Hey you did a great job particularly the last one.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:12 PM   #14

Wonderful shots! I'll have to try peanuts some day - we have both Stellars and scrub jays around and they'd probably love the peanuts, and I'd like to have more of an opportunity to photograph birds.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:55 AM   #15

PMJ...These are great shots...when I can get a few spare minutes I'll try some more. Thanks for the tip on the half stop for ISO's!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:56 AM   #16

Getting a small bird sitting still is hard enough, but in flight!! You guys are doing some serious work!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:53 PM   #17

Sometimes I get lucky when it comes to birds - I was really happy with this one - I was panning and taking birds, both areas/subjects I tend to struggle with. But I managed this one, and was really happy with it.
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:41 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes I get lucky when it comes to birds - I was really happy with this one - I was panning and taking birds, both areas/subjects I tend to struggle with.* But I managed this one, and was really happy with it.
Harriet

Really tricky shot at wide open at F4 (300mm) with around 1 ft of DoF and 2 birds in perfect focus. That would be 1 out of 1000 keepers. I know how tough it is for focusing that MF A300mmF4. It is tough choice of iso as I would have done that at iso800 for my k100D to give me higher shutter speed and better DoF.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:31 PM   #19

PinonMesaJon's photos of blue jays are nothing less than astounding. Just a couple of more that I got last summer. First is an eastern kingbird, landing on a shoot.

The second is a scissor-tailed flycatcher who put on his air brakes and changed directions when he realized he was flying directly toward my camera.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:38 PM   #20

Daniel - I was actually taking pictures of flowers and had stopped by the pond where I saw the Great Egret (who was hiding behind some bushes). These birds (I have no idea what they are other than water fowl) suddenly took off, flew around the pond and then landed again. I shot quickly, without having a chance to change anything that was set on the camera (single shot, Auto ISO, Tvmode at 640 so I avoided camera shake, focus wasn't off by much). As I said, every so often I get lucky.

That flycatcher is really wonderful!