Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:24 PM   #1

This photo shouldn't bother you at all.

=
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:29 PM   #2

Good one. And a good shot as well!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:31 PM   #3

Heck Eddie! I shoot at them daily with my BB gun....They want to take over all the feeders and empty them. I tried setting up feeders just for them but they drive the birds off and eat all the bird seed instead of just using their feeders...So my Daisy Buck and I deal with them almost every morning...They are cute but right now I want bird photos not three thousand squirrel photos.. LOL That is a good one there though.

And an "oh yeah" here for the squemish...The BB's don't harm them just sting a little!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:06 PM   #4

Cute little begger, isn't he? They are such pests, but they are so cute. While I sympathize with the Big Dawg, I'm not sure I'd use a bb on one. Someone I know was having trouble with small ground squirrels. He would occasionally fire on them with a bb gun while his young daughter gave him a hard time about possibly hurting one. He kept telling them he was just scaring them off, until one day he hit one and killed it. No more bb shooting for him (though eventually his daughter did forgive him).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:07 PM   #5

I shoot at them from about 20-25 feet away Harriet...I've hit only two and they left very fast and healthy. The velocity is down real fast with the Daisy buck as it is the cheapest one Daisy evermade...and this one is nearly 30 years old. Mostly the noise drives them off and the BB's hitting the tree trunk. Ground squirrels are a lot smaller and I don't think I could bring myself to shoot at one of them...They are just too cute!LOL

Dawg
Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:20 PM   #6

Dawg

The ONLY way that I've ever seen to keep squirrels out of bird feeders is to mount the feeder on a smooth steel pipe anchored in concrete..

The smoother the pole the better..The larger in diameter the pole the better..

A large stainless steel bowl that is considerably bigger in diameter then the feeder itself, is attached to the pole upside down (like a hat) about a foot below the bottom of the feeder..

The steeper the slope of the bowl, the better..Waxing the bowl, top & bottom, helps..

The whole setup must be far enough off the ground to prevent the little buggers from leaping up to catch onto the rim of the bowl..

The feeder MUST be in the middle of a clearing or yard where the pests cannot leap onto the feeder from branches, fences, etc..

My freind who did this took several years & hundreds of pounds of bird feed to figure this out..

One squirrel can consume an incredible amoutnt of bird feed in a single year..

Hope this helps..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:22 PM   #7

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Dawg

The ONLY way that I've ever seen to keep squirrels out of bird feeders is to mount the feeder on a smooth steel pipe anchored in concrete..

The smoother the pole the better..The larger in diameter the pole the better..

A large stainless steel bowl that is considerably bigger in diameter then the feeder itself, is attached to the pole upside down (like a hat) about a foot below the bottom of the feeder..

The steeper the slope of the bowl, the better..Waxing the bowl, top & bottom, helps..

The whole setup must be far enough off the ground to prevent the little buggers from leaping up to catch onto the rim of the bowl..

The feeder MUST be in the middle of a clearing or yard where the pests cannot leap onto the feeder from branches, fences, etc..

My freind who did this took several years & hundreds of pounds of bird feed to figure this out..

One squirrel can consume an incredible amoutnt of bird feed in a single year..

Hope this helps..

Bruce
Thanks Bruce.

Dawg
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:23 PM   #8

Dawg-

Have you tried Cayenne pepper in the feeders?My Mother in law found something called squirrel away -----She found out it was just pepper and the birds dont have taste buds.might be worth a try in one feeder to see if it works.

Chris
biggyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:27 PM   #9

biggyfry wrote:
Quote:
Dawg-

Have you tried Cayenne pepper in the feeders?My Mother in law found something called squrrill away -----She found out it was just pepper and the birds dont have taste buds.might be worth a try in one feeder to see if it works.

Chris
Not a bad Idea Chris...but if I have crispy critters all over the place in the morning it will be your fault! LOL

Dawg
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:26 AM   #10

Of course, shooting them IS kinda fun!!..Hmmmmmmm??..
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote