Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:51 PM   #11

You do better than I do with the evacuation thing. We've only been evacuated once, and even though we really had ample warning that it might happen (like a week or two), I just didn't think that it would really happen until the day that it did. I had thought about what to pack, but had just not quite done anything about organizing things. Believe me, the time to organize such things is not while you are driving home to grab your stuff and leave. At least we had enough time to do that (they put us under evacuation orders quite early because of the restricted road system in our area) - we would have been in much worse shape if we hadn't been able to get home.

P.S. - Thanks for the information about Costco - not a bad deal for members when you think about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:17 PM   #12
PDL

Yes - everyone needs to carry out some sort of backup.

I work in the IT world - and backups are essential to me getting things done. On my home machine - I back up the data not the programs. License keys, documents, email archives/data and of course images (I shoot only RAW) and the "working" folder that has all my PP'd images.

I use DVD's even though I know that they really may not last all that long (with HD and BluRay coming out - just how long will will 'normal' CD's be around). Now I do not have a off house/site storage solution, so if the house burns down, floods / Mt. Rainier, Baker go kabluuie / Earthquake / Asteroid etc. - everything is just gone and I will just have to deal with it. It is not like I have not had bad things happen to me before - I lost 20+ years of B&W negatives to mice and water damage - d*mn near quit photography.

What ever mechanism you use - just be consistent and as technology changes - migrate to the next best technology. It does get expensive - but CD's/DVD's/USB drives just may not be readable in 20 years. I have that problem now - I bought 2 750GB SATA 300 drives that will not work with my 4 year old motherboard. Bummer.

Now as for cameras? I normally do not carry a backup - if my son is with me he carries the *ist Ds while I carry the K10D. If worse came to worse - I have the SF-1 and the Fujica ST-801, ST-901 and AZ-1 along with about 10 rolls of Ektachrome --- just in case. ("I just love the smell of Ektachrome in the morning - but sniffing a SD card is just weird")

Oh - RAID is not about backups - it is fault tolerance and fault tolerance is very expensive. I have lost RAID controllers where the data was only recoverable from tape, the disks were fried.

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:24 AM   #13

Knock on wood. We've only ever lost one hard drive in 24 years of being on computers. (Okay, well the first few were without hard drives.:-)) And, luckily, the hard drive we lost didn't have MY data on it. Only my husband's except for my genealogy stuff. But, I didn't worry because, at the time, I had four floppy backups. Glad I did, as only one was workable.

I currently have my photos on one drive in the computer and my documents, etc in another drive. Like PDL, I only backup the data and any zip programs I may have downloaded. Only so I don't have to go find them all again. And, in case they aren't available any more. I have two external drives. One 200GB that is attached to the computer, but not on unless backup is being done. Another 160 GB that I use with my laptop (since it only has a 20 GB drive) that is not connected except when in use. I have a program set up to do a weekly backup of all the data above onto the the 200 GB drive. And, manually do the 160 maybe once a month.

I keep considering doing a backup of stuff to CD or DVD, but never seem to find the time to do it. (Guess I could be doing that now instead of being here. But, that wouldn't be any fun.) I did used to bring a backup on CD to work and leave it in my desk. But, I can't lock things up there and was afraid someone would get hold of the data (including banking info). So, quit doing that. Probably a bad idea.

As for camera backup, I only have my old film cameras (Canon Rebel, Minolta p&s). Had an Oly D550, but my son seems to have lost it and I haven't replaced it yet. Can't find exactly what I want. Guess I'm just too picky.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:33 AM   #14

"What ever mechanism you use - just be consistent and as technology changes - migrate to the next best technology. It does get expensive - but CD's/DVD's/USB drives just may not be readable in 20 years. I have that problem now - I bought 2 750GB SATA 300 drives that will not work with my 4 year old motherboard. Bummer."

FWIW I have a SATA drive, actually two of them in external cases and my older Mac Powerbook G4 non SATA will not read the USB2 drive but has no problem reading the SATA drive in a Firewire case.

A big problem with digital imaging is that no one knows how long the life of the files are no matter how you back them up. I have slides (Kodachrome) from the 60's that are just as bright as the day I took them. From what I know now I can't see digital images lasting that long without at least some degradation with the technology we have available today.

An editorial in Shutterbug called "The Lost Generation" talked about this and how in 50-100 years there may not be any images left other than those taken with film since not eveyone is shooting digital, at least not yet.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:56 PM   #15

The subject of how to maintain files comes up at work (I deal with architectural drawings). My boss has a 7" floppy with files from a drafting program that's been gone for many years. He once found someone who could transition the drawings to AutoCAD, but they couldn't read the floppy. My conclusion is that the only way to keep drawings for a very long time is to have them done with ink on linen - our 1920's drawings that were done that way are in better shape than some sepia mylars done much later. Digital is OK for working stuff, but is a lousy idea for archiving.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:51 PM   #16

Forget what I said about using Costco as a backup service. It is true that you can use them for backups, but the only way to get the photos out is to print it. Yes they do save your files at full res, but you can't view it at full res.

As far as backing something up that is future proof there are no such thing. There will always be something better to replace it. But I wouldn't worry too much about backing it up to standard DVD or even CD. I doubt they will go away anytime soon. And even if they Do go away, it is not going to happen over night. It will take at least 10 years or so for it to die AFTER most of the general public stops using them. Look at VHS, it "is a dead" format, and hardly anyone use them, but you can still find many ways to make them digital.

PDL, there are ways to make your SATA drive work with your 4 years old motherboard. I am guessing your motherboard only supports IDE. You can get a SATA to IDE cable if you install the boot from the drive. If not, you can buy an external shell and use it like an external hard drive via USB cable.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:21 PM   #17

I Do have a backup Camera. I own both the K100 and the DS. If those fail i have an old Olympus C730.
As far as backing up my pictures. I have them on my PC, then they are backed up to an external 250g HD. I also Burn them to DVD. I keep one set here and leave one set at my mothers house.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:59 PM   #18

Some of you may find this article interesting dealing with CD/DVD media:

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/20...archival-media

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:35 PM   #19

Tom thanks for posting that link. Great history lesson and also what brand(s) prove to be most stable for archival purposes. Good to know.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:04 AM   #20
PDL

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
snip
Quote:
PDL, there are ways to make your SATA drive work with your 4 years old motherboard. I am guessing your motherboard only supports IDE. You can get a SATA to IDE cable if you install the boot from the drive. If not, you can buy an external shell and use it like an external hard drive via USB cable.
No, the motherboard does support SATA, but one of the earliest implementations. I have a both on - board IDE controllers running the CD-RW and DVD-RW drives. The two (now nearly full) hard drives are off of a two channel IDE-133 controller. The BIOS can only support a mix of 6 IDE/SATA (ATA slots) devices. It finds the IDE drive with the OS, but then defaults to the unformated SATA drive at boot. It is just frustrating - I could monkey around with the boot.ini file - but right now it is not worth it.

I have a PCI-SATA/300 internal 4 port card showing up tomorrow - which should fix the issue. Since the card will support 4 SATA drives - I just might go get two more 750's and build a RAID 5 1.5 TB array to hold my stuff.

I would never setup a SATA 750/300 drive off of a USB cable - now that would make me cry (poor performance).

I just need to get to burning more DVD's so I can delete/move the folder of nothing but RAW files (72GB compressed)

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote