Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:56 PM   #1

With the price of silver so high, I sold off some 1964 and older silver coins I've been holding for about 20 years ($70.00 face value). So, now I'm sitting on about $1100.00. Should I buy a K10D, battery grip and a couple of extra batteries or should I keep saving and buy the K20 when it comes out?
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:32 PM   #2

K20D with the CMOS sensor will have cleaner images at higher iso. Since you shoot sports as well it would be a better bet to go for the K20D. Tamron is also coming out with the 70-200mm 2.8 which will also be a great addition for sports shooting and close range wildlife shooting as well. In fact, if I remember right you have the Tamron 90mm 2.8 prime lens. That along with the K20D and the better iso performance you can get that needed shutter speed to get some very good low light (poor light) action shots. Some places will still be a challenge for that set-up but I do think your chances with the K20D are better than with the K10D.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:25 PM   #3

Like Tom said the ability to use higher ISO and low noise make for faster shutter speed capability!

Dawg @work
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:38 PM   #4

The majority of sports shooting I do is outdoors (track). In fact, I may not be shooting indoor sports at all (my daughter is considering training for track during the basketball season instead of playing BB). So, I went with the K10, grip and two extra batteries. The total was less than $900 with overnight shipping, so I will have a nestegg for another decent lens (later this summer).

Thanx for your opinions.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:42 PM   #5

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
The majority of sports shooting I do is outdoors (track). In fact, I may not be shooting indoor sports at all (my daughter is considering training for track during the basketball season instead of playing BB). So, I went with the K10, grip and two extra batteries. The total was less than $900 with overnight shipping, so I will have a nestegg for another decent lens (later this summer).

Thanx for your opinions.
Rick

Congrats on getting The K10d. Best of luck with it

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:47 PM   #6

By the way--a few more BB shots...K100D with Tamron 90mm f/2.8. 3200 ISO then PP using Paint Shop Pro.

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:13 PM   #7

From your vantage point I say that this is the best looking shots of basketball. I like it better than the 50mm by far. Looks like you have what you need to shoot indoors with that combination and with the K10D for outdoor sports I look forward to your posts.

Congrats on your purchase of the K10D and a great deal to boot.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8

Rick - these are quite nice! This looks like a good combination and your post processing is excellent. If you aren't going to be shooting more bb, then you probably made a good decision (though I'd really like a K20, but it's not going to happen, sigh!). Otherwise, I would think the K20 would be a better fit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote