Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1

Today I took a walk instead of working out in the gym before work. All pictures were taken before sunrise and handheld.

Through High Windows:

Not sure about this one - I may try to re-take it since I can't decide if it suffers from too small a DOF, camera shake or just too many windows. I like the idea of itbut think it suffers from something.

Leaded Glass:

This one is better technically, but not sure I like the composition as much. While it was the blue that caught my eye, I don't think I like it in the picture.

This is the "other" one. I really like this picture even though its not much about windows.

They were all taken with the K10, the first two with the DA50-135 and the last one with the DA 12-24. Any suggestions about how to make these better would be appreciated.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:32 PM   #2

I like the second one for the color and lighting, very nice!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:51 AM   #3

I like the last one, Castles in the Air maybe, could be a bit spooky with that forefront tree and the lights in the 'castle', anyway it could tell many stories, I love the mood it sets.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:51 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think if you cropped #2 and adjusted the perspective, you'd have a real keeper! # 3 is perfect (great composition and use of natural morning lighting).--I would not change a thing. Where were these imges taken?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:09 AM   #5

I think it might be easier to just re-take the second one tomorrow, and get more straight-on to the window. The second two pictures are the same building - like most of my week day pictures, all three were taken in and around Westwood/West Los Angeles.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:13 AM   #6

I still like #2 and I think you will loose some depth if you take the photo straight on. Just adjust the perspective in CS in the photo you have.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:30 AM   #7

Have to say that #3 is fantastic! I love the way the light on the right has lit the surrounding branches. They almost seem to be dancing

As for suggestions on how to improve it, I'm not sure that I am qualified to give any advice, but that has never stopped me in the past!

The only improvement to #3 might be to crop it a little although having had a little play with it I'm not sure how best to do it. Maybe something like this?

Attached Images

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:14 PM   #8

With all due deference to Keith, I'd leave No 3 uncropped - cropping it gives it an entirely different look. The expanse of lighter sky gives a sillhouetted appearance to the trees - croppingthe skymakes them just look underexposed, and draws the eye to the central streetlights and away from the "castle." It is a really nice picture justas it is. I wouldn't do a thing to it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:11 PM   #9

penolta wrote:
Quote:
With all due deference to Keith ...
Forget the deference, just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about :-)

In fact I think I had uploaded the wrong crop anyway! I agree that the streetlight isnow the focal point of the photo, which is definitely wrong! I had meant to keep that light over on the right while reducing the sky a little. Just goes to show that one should always think about what one has done before uploading.

Rather than edit my post I shall leave it there as a warning to others.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:00 PM   #10

Firstly: a very nice set, Harriet. I agree with Tom about keeping the perspective in #2.

Secondly: I find #3 both as it is, and cropped * la Keith, very appealing. Uncropped it is a very good night time shot of a castle and its surroundings. Cropped it is a shot of a somewhat spooky place with a central streetlight where you can seek escape, and the athmosphere enhanced by a castle silhouette in the background. Two different pictures, but equally good IMO.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote