Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:02 AM   #1

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:35 PM   #2

Hi Dawg,

Wow! a Cardinal, Downy, and a Red Bellied in one shot -- and that close together. Quite an accomplishment.

If I might make a few suggestions --

In bright sunlight, try stopping the lens down (anywhere from .5 to 2 stops) and accept the slower shutter speeds, as long as they don't get too slow. You might find that you get sharper shots. Almost all that I've seen from your Bigma have been shot at f6.7, and while the lens is obviously good wide open, it'll be sharper stopped down, even just a little. If you have some guys that stay in one place long enough, shoot a couple wide open, then try a couple stopping down .3 stop at a time, until the shutter speed gets too slow to be workable and see which shots turn out better.

Again, in bright sunlight, you might try cutting your contrast setting. Higher contrast settings boost apparent sharpness, but you can lose detail if this blows out some of the highlights. It's a give and take thing, so you have to find what works for you. . .

I started off using the "Bright" overall setting, and boosting the sharpness and contrast, to get sharper images out of the camera, but have found that I like "Natural", +1 contrast, 0 sharpness, 0 saturation better. I now prefer to boost contrast, saturation, and sharpness from a flatter original shot in PP if needed.

It's interesting to note that Pentax in-camera sharpening for the K10 boosts edge sharpness by biasing increased edge contrast to the dark side to prevent the bright halos around objects, but this sometimes adds a dark line to the edge that isn't really there in the original subject.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 8:35 PM   #3

Scott I have tried that and in bright sunlight it does work good if they would just sit still long enough...LOL they do not cooperate very well. I've shot some at F/8 and f/11 and they are just too dark for the type of light I am getting right now. I can only shoot in good light one day of the week and sometimes the clouds and sun do not co-operate either..LOL I do hear you and will submit some photos for your consideration after shooting a few afternoon shots Sunday! I have only that day in which to do so! Also this weekend I hope to try out my better beamer to see if that can shed some light on the situation!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote