Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:56 PM   #1

Since the thread was closed before I got the chance to reply...I wanted to thank you Roger for the photo of the Bush Hawk as I plan on getting one myself soon. The tripod is just not going to work with shooting small birds. Are there any issues with using one? Like the set up or which model is best? Thanks again

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:11 PM   #2

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Since the thread was closed before I got the chance to reply...I wanted to thank you Roger for the photo of the Bush Hawk as I plan on getting one myself soon. The tripod is just not going to work with shooting small birds. Are there any issues with using one? Like the set up or which model is best? Thanks again

Dawg
Hi Dawg

There is a couple of things I think you need to adjust to make everything more comfortable and quicker to have in position to shoot. If you are right handed you put the sling over your head on your left shoulder and let the BushHawk ride abouve you waist on your right side.

I put on a rifle sling and set it up so my camera and lens is in the up position not hanging down. I also found out aftr hours of being around my neck it gets heavey and uncomfortable around my neck so I put on the two seat belt pads.

I was going to try and get a photo of the K10D / BIGMA on the BushHawk but I only have 1 pentax camera so I am concerned about using a NONE pentax photo.

I guess I have a problem with Steves at this time. I posted information for forum members that might help them and used my only Pentax camera for the photos and the thread gets locked. I thought the board was so share ideas and to help each other out.

Wacky roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:47 PM   #3

Hey Dawg

For the short while that I had a large, heavy, manual zoom lens attached to my K10D / BushHawk I completely concur with Roger in that the normal set-up for the sling swivels where the rig hangs upside down with the lens facing the ground is a lousy way to carry it..

Roger's way of installing the swivel on the top of the forward hand grip bar allows the whole rig to be carried with the lens & camera above the BushHawk in the normal position that one would use it..

A lot easier to use..

I did not have that lens for very long before I traded it away for something else..If I had kept it for any length of time, I would have definitely wanted to pad the rifle sling that I purchased to replace the sling that I got with the BushHawk..The BushHawk sling is too narrow for any kind of long term comfort..

I'm still waiting to pick up a Bigma so I can use the BushHawk for wildlife photography..

I look forward to seeing the improvement in your images when you get the BushHawk..It will help stabilize the camera / lens rig a lot..

Bruce

P.S.

If I upset the moderators by posting a rebuttal to robar's post on Roger's thread, then I apologize..I just felt something needed to be said..That's all I've got to say on the subject..
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:21 PM   #4

Dawg, maybe this will help.

Wacky roger
Old Feb 15, 2008, 8:26 PM   #5

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Dawg, maybe this will help.

Wacky roger
Thanks guys..This is the sort of help and information that this forum is noted for. Both of you have helped tremendously with this and thanks. I too from time to time post some photos of my equipment as it changes. I often now use my wife's Kodak to post photos of different lenses and my K10D and what ever is mounted to it! It has never been a problem with the moderators that I know of and do not think it is this time either. Just that the tone was really angry and the best way to handle that is to nip it in the bud as Barney Fife would say...Just nip it in the bud.

You all have a nice day now Ya' Heah?

Dawg
Old Feb 15, 2008, 8:27 PM   #6

Roger

Does the sling set-up with the Canon, where you have attached the sling to the lens, make the rig easier or harder to carry??..

As opposed to the sling set-up that you had with the Bigma??..

It looks as if the weight would pull on your neck muscles more with it hanging lower..

Bruce
Old Feb 15, 2008, 8:33 PM   #7

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Roger

Does the sling set-up with the Canon, where you have attached the sling to the lens, make the rig easier or harder to carry??..

It looks as if the weight would pull on your neck muscles more with it hanging lower..

Bruce
Bruce you nailed it. My concern was the very heavy cannon set up could break the narrow places on the BushHawk ??? That is why I attached the sling to the lens on the cannon and it does do a number on you neck so I got the pads and it is muncho better now.

Wacky roger
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:34 PM   #8

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Roger

Bruce
Bruce you nailed it. My concern was the very heavy cannon set up could break the narrow places on the BushHawk ??? That is why I attached the sling to the lens on the cannon and it does do a number on you neck so I got the pads and it is muncho better now.

Wacky roger
For what length of time do you carry it routinely Roger? I, using just the OEM neckstrap have the Bigma and the TC with the K10D around my neck for at least 2 hours every morning. Gets uncomfortable much longer than that! Course a 22 inch neck has a wide expanse for it to hang on but 2 hours right now is the limit!

Dawg
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:01 AM   #9

Hi Roger,

I don't know if yo got my reply on the last dissappearing thread, so I'll ask again, can you mount the K10d ad bigma on the bushhawk so I can get an idea of the size, not having seen one in real life here in Aus.

thanks

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:25 AM   #10

Roger & Dawg

Think Tank Photo manufactures their Modulus Belt System to allow mostly professional photographers a way to more comfortably carry large amounts of camera gear..

They sell two different waist belts..The standard one is the Pro Speed Belt priced at $35.00..Then there is the Steroid Speed Belt that is larger so as to distribute any weight carried over a larger area of the waist & hips..It is priced at $48.00..

The real reason I am bringing this to both of your attentions is the Pixel Racing Harness, priced at $35.00..This attaches to either of the belts with a single attachment in the center rear of the belt, & two attachments on either side of the center of ones body on the front of the belt..

The Pixel Racing Harness has two D-rings sewn onto the shoulder straps so that when the entire rig is worn, the D-rings end up being located in the approximate vicinity of below the clavicle & above one's pectoral muscles..

Think Tank Photo also sells a Camera Strap that attaches to both the camera & the D-rings of the harness with quick-release attachments..It is priced at $25.00..So that one may carry heavy digital cameras with the weight distributed across the shoulders & waist belt, & not upon the neck..

Roger---I was thinking that perhaps a modified version of the Think Tank Photo Camera Strap might be attached to the rifle sling swivels that you installed on your first BushHawk..Since you are concerned about the weight of the Canon camera & lens damaging the BushHawk you could also attach them directly to the lens, as you are currently doing..Or, perhaps you could do both??..

This would allow you to carry the weight of the camera / teleconverter / lens / BushHawk for extended periods of time with much less discomfort..The weight of such a rig would then be evenly distributed over the user's shoulders, waist, & hip bones..

Of course the Modulus Belt System would also allow you to carry all kinds of other camera equipment like extra lenses, filters. etc. which is what it was originally designed for..

Camera holsters are available which would allow the user to carry a second camera in a holster attached to the belt; with the BushHawk / camera rig suspended from the shoulder straps..This is something that I thought you might be interested in Roger, as you are desiring to carry both of your cameras around with you at all times..

Ever since I first saw the Think Tank Photo Modulus Belt System I have been interested in it..While reading your posts yesterday Roger, it occured to me that the Think Tank Photo Modulus Belt System might be the ideal way to carry around any heavy camera & lens combo attached to a BushHawk, especially for extended periods of time..

Dawg---Since you want to carry your K10D / Bigma / & eventually a BushHawk as well around for two or more hours, I thought this might interest you as well..

Check them out at http://www.thinktankphoto.com

Hope this helps..

Bruce