Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1

I've often wondered when you take your batterires out of the camera to charge them, is there a limit to how long you can have no batteries in without losing your settings or time. I think the camera may have a small battery in it for this, but I'm not sure.

Ialways put some other batteries in, evenif they are just alkaline while chargingmy good batteries, but is this necessary?I've always wondered about this, but it has never been discussed that I know of- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:55 PM   #2

To the best of my knowledge, there is no internal battery to retain user settings.

I haven't performed any tests to see how long the camera can be without batteries before loosing these settings but it will, & does, happen.

It's always best to rotate batteries anyway so that the depleted ones go on charge with the backup set fitted.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:21 PM   #3

My areas of expertise do not include solid state electronics, battery technology, nor digital camera design, but I did have experience a couple of years ago with an Olympus P & S that wouldn't retain its settings when the batteries were changed. I was told at that time the problem was probably due to a bad capacitor on the motherboard of the camera. I did not send it in for repair due to cost and age of the camera, but assuming the diagnosis was correct, it could provide a clue to your answer.

A capacitor will hold an electrical charge for a set period of time. That could be minutes, days, or weeks depending on design of the capacitor. The charge slowly "leaks" over that period if no new current is present. Thus, charge would eventually disappear and you would lose your settings. A faulty capacitor would either not hold charge at all or would hold it for a significantly degraded time.

Assuming Pentax uses a similar system, you would have to know the specific ratings of the capacitor used to store a charge to know how long it would hold settings.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:26 PM   #4

Hi,

What model camera do you have? I have an istD. It has a lithium wafer batery to retain my settings.

rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:37 PM   #5

I have an *ist DL. The book does not mention another battery for this, so the capacitor thing makes sense. I just wasn't sure how longthe cameraholds it's memory. I am assuming your wafer battery is replaceable if it goes dead? I haven't seen any test on this and I assume the newer K units have the same type of setup - Bruce

Followup - After doing some searching I found that DS cameras and beyond use a capacitor that is good for 24 hours to maintain the settingsif you remove the batteries. Beyond that time, you would need to reset the date and time.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:23 PM   #6

Same for the K100d. Well, I don't know for sure how long it takes, but I had a set of batteries go dead in the camera and had to reset date and time. I believe the other settings were all saved though.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:05 AM   #7

bper wrote:
Quote:
After doing some searching I found that DS cameras and beyond use a capacitor that is good for 24 hours to maintain the settingsif you remove the batteries. Beyond that time, you would need to reset the date and time.
Speaking from experience, I don't think my *istDS would go 24 hours without loosing time/date/user settings 'flag' - users settings just need to re-checked to activate so they're not lost, just suppressd.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:10 AM   #8

bper wrote:
Quote:
Followup - After doing some searching I found that DS cameras and beyond use a capacitor that is good for 24 hours to maintain the settingsif you remove the batteries. Beyond that time, you would need to reset the date and time.
links???

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:00 PM   #9

Roy - it was a post made in this forum and was answered by Rice High and verified by Tom. Here is a link to the original post below. It was a post done in 2006, but I'm sure the newer K camera's use the same thing. Apparently the original D used a wafer battery for backup. Good information. Haven't seen Rice High here lately. I know he was controversial, but he posted some interesting information sometimes- Bruce

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...time+capacitor