Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:46 PM   #21

Tonight I had my camera when I visited a fellow amateur photographer to chat about a Galen Rowell video. Here is a portrait shot at f2.0 (using the FA 35mm f2.0), 1/15s,ISO 1600 with only one light fixture (incandescent) in the room.

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:11 AM   #22

I sort-of agree with you, but it depends. I used to often go out with just one lens, with the idea that I would look for scenes that would compliment that lens. However, every time I did that, I'd run into something that was really cool, and the lens I had just wouldn't do it (such as walking around with a macro lens taking pictures of flowers and spotting an unusual bird in a tree too far away for the 100mm to reach). So I still carry my Slingshot 200 with my usual assortment of favorite lenses with me all the time. But normally when I head out at lunch for my daily photo walk, I'll have a subject or lens in mind that I'll concentrate on. Sometimes it's sports and the 300mm, sometimes its the botanical gardens and the macro, sometimes its the wide angle. And I still have the appropriate tool to catch something that I didn't start out to get, if the opportunity presents itself.

I do think that one should seriously limit what they shoot with when they buy a new lens. And not to buy too many at once - it takes a while to really figure out how to use a new lens, and to know how to make the most of it. I got too much right at Christmas timeand I'm still trying to get a handle on it all - flash, circular polarizer and wide angle lens. That'sprobably part of the reason I've been feeling rather frustrated recently, too many new toys to play with, and I haven't quite gotten it all figured out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:47 PM   #23

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I sort-of agree with you, but it depends. I used to often go out with just one lens, with the idea that I would look for scenes that would compliment that lens. However, every time I did that, I'd run into something that was really cool, and the lens I had just wouldn't do it (such as walking around with a macro lens taking pictures of flowers and spotting an unusual bird in a tree too far away for the 100mm to reach).
Harriet,

If I leave the house on a photo shoot (fancy name for an outing which has no other purpose) I will bring a bag with the 24-135mm Sigma, probably the 100-300mm and one of my primes (FA35 or FA50), BUT... I now have the tiny little Lowepro TLZ Mini bag with the DL, FA35 and an extra set of batteries always ready to go. This combo is so small that I can take it with me almost everywhere, and it offers me a field of view that I have most often enjoyed, a "normal" (50mm equivalent) lens.

I have tried wildlife photography, with only some modest success, the 100-300mm will suffice unless I get some sudden inspiration. I have tried landscapes, but I need a wider lens in order to do the verticals I like most. I like the Sigma for portraits and events like weddingssince it gives me lots of framing options and flexibility. What I am getting to is that I have found that my personal photographic "style" always seems to gravitate back to a simpler view, one best served by the 35mm to 50mm range of lenses.

In spite of some paying projects, and an occasional published piece, I have no aspirations for photography as a profession. I like the word amateur since it implies a love for the medium, not a lack of skill. When I look through the images that I have shot with my most favoured lens, the Sigma 24-135mm, I find that the vast majority of images were shot in this 35-50mm range confirming my thesis that I work best in this range.

A friend of mine names Galen Rowell as his inspiration due to his wonderful outdoor photography, another admires Yousuf Karsh because he works as a portrait photographer, I guess I am lost between the portrait work of Arnold Newman and anything by Henri Cartier-Bresson, although I seldom get an opportunity to practice either general technique. One of my all time favourites I shot with a K1000 on Kodak C-41 black and white film using an old M-series 50mm f2 and a linear polarizer, not a digital shot but here it is anyway.

I call it "Mother-in-law Door"

Ira

Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:03 AM   #24

Hi Everyone - Here is a link from the other forum that is ofa portrait posted. It is excellant and taken with the D FA100 macro. This is a lens that has been on my wish list for a while and as you can see, it is not only good for macros. I have seen macros taken with this lens and they are also very crisp. I know everyone likes zooms, but lets don't forget those nice primes out there. It's reported to be slow at focusing because of the long focus on it, but most of the time macros arecomposed andfocused manuallyanyway. Oh no, LBA again- Bruce

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26972100
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:57 PM   #25

I have revived this thread since a recent wedding shoot has pointed out some important facts to me.

I like simple primes, I ended up shooting the vast majority with just two lenses, an FA 35 on the DS and an FA 50 on the K10D. I used the 18-55mm kit lens for some interior posed shots but was not as happy with the results. My wife Annette used her K100D with the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5, an excellent lens for this type of work, to shoot the bride getting ready and candids throughout the event. I think that the FA77mm f1.8 Limited would be an ideal lens for me (although I think I could settle for the DA 70mm f2.4 Limited )

I am quickly becoming a prime junkie but I still want the 10-17mm fisheye zoom and the DA* 50-135mm f2.8.

Ira

EDIT - I still use the 18-55mm since I do not have a really wide prime. BTW the bag and camera shown in the first post:

Is now my son Matt's kit (except he has the FA 28-80mm and the FA 100-300mm silver lenses and this 50 is on my K10D). In fact here is how it looks now:

Attached Images