Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,321
Default

Spent the weekend in Central Montana and captured these images with my DL.

Jay

I think this is the "Big Sky" they refer to in Montana. Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye. No polarizing filter was used (no way to install on this lens). But I am pleased with how the sky turned out (minimal PP).




Here is an alternate view that shows the fisheye effect..still a big sky out there!




Downtown Grass Range (about 100 miles north of Billings). Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye



Herd of Elk. Unfortunately this was all I could reach with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG (nothing compared to Roger's Bigma!).



Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JimInGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 307
Default

Some wide open spaces. Love the sky in that first shot. It sure looks like you can see forever.



Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

Nice! A very special landscape portrayed in #1. You make best use of the lense's potential.

But I sure know where not to go for a bicycle holiday:

–Where are we going tomorrow, love?

–Well, if we start early we might get all the way to the next bend before sunset, darling!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,321
Default

Jim & Kjell: thanks for your comments. I have inserted another picture into the series (see image #2) that shows more of the big sky with a true fisheye effect. Even with the ultra wide angle, it still does not do justice to the expanse!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Jim & Kjell: thanks for your comments. I have inserted another picture into the series (see image #2) that shows more of the big sky with a true fisheye effect. Even with the ultra wide angle, it still does not do justice to the expanse!

Jay
That's the Big Sky Country I remember....Sometimes Nuthin' fer miles and miles and miles. Really good colors in these!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,321
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
That's the Big Sky Country I remember....Sometimes Nuthin' fer miles and miles and miles. Really good colors in these!

Dawg
Thanks Dawg...the Pentax 10-17mm does tend to produce very nice colors..almost as if a polarizer is in use. Not sure what it is about the Montana sky that makes it look so big. Even though I've been in other states with vast expanses of farm land, the sky just does not look big as it does in Montana!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
That's the Big Sky Country I remember....Sometimes Nuthin' fer miles and miles and miles. Really good colors in these!

Dawg
Thanks Dawg...the Pentax 10-17mm does tend to produce very nice colors..almost as if a polarizer is in use. Not sure what it is about the Montana sky that makes it look so big. Even though I've been in other states with vast expanses of farm land, the sky just does not look big as it does in Montana!
Purty though..ain't it?



Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:16 AM.