Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:02 PM   #1

Having realised thatthe new polariser causesblue biased outputs outdoors on my K10D, I tried the colour balance tool at the PS pushing the yelow agains the blue. I have also detected a slight softness with the polariser, butonly at somepictures:?

Below are three crops for your evaluation : )

#1 with polariser(no tweaking)Tv:1/100; f/8; iso: 100
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:04 PM   #2

#2 after some tweaking @PS (as mentioned above)
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:06 PM   #3

#3 no w/o polariser Tv:1/400 ; f/8; iso:100
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:08 PM   #4

Even with the tweaked version it shows some softness.

Are you stacking your polarizer with your UV haze filter?

Quite possible if it is it is causing that softness. If not, I am not sure what else it could be that contributes to the softness. You are using a high quality polarizer as well.

Thanks for sharing,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:30 PM   #5

Thank you for the swift answer, Tom : )

Oh! I didn'tthink this onehad the softness issue:?Anyway, the polariser was directly attached on the lens! At first I thought the softnessI mentioned above could becaused due to two stops disadvantage of the polariser. However,this picture was shot @ a shutter speed of 1/100 which is fast enough to be free of handshake, IMO. Btw, my tweaking doesn't include any sharpening.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:40 PM   #6

Ok,

Upon further review the edit looks much better after viewing all three examples. I take it that you were not using SR on these shots. I would be interested in a shot taken with SR and one without with your shot settings and then if you have one a tripod shot. I believe any shot with SR, VR, OIS or any type of anti-shake technology couple with a tripod should be off as it has proven to be counterproductive.

I do like what you post and your PP skills are top notch. Your insight has helped me immensely in how I look at taking that shot. In a couple of weeks I just may be able to get out and about with my cameras.

Thanks,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:08 PM   #7

I'm humbled by your kind words, Tom : )

I shall try it on a tripod SR off with and without the polariser comparing the handheld SR on as well, as you suggested. So far I haven't been lucky with the equipment since I had to replace first my sigma lens and the K10D camera body. So I won't be very much surprised if I realise I found a bad copyeven concerning the polariser!!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:07 PM   #8

Interesting - I haven't particularly noticed any extra softness with my filter. I do have trouble with shutter speeds (forget about losing light) and noticed the camera's tendency to have a slight bluish cast. I notice it more if I have AWB to daylight, rather than auto (the camera sometimes corrects for it, but not always). I'll have to take some more pictures with mine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:07 PM   #9

Thanks foryour empathic feedback, Harriet!

I also do not see a point why there should besoftness with the polariser other than the relative slower shutter speedrequired for the same composition. I recently took two more comparative shotsat high iso to be able shoot at a shutter speed of at least 1/500'' (SR off)andcould not detect any difference regarding sharpness. However, I'll have to try it on agood tripod (since my kids ruined my recent one!!) for a final verdict... Colourwise, I find #2 ( the one shot with the polariser and thantweaked @PS for the bluish cast removal) best. Don't you find ?

Bahadır
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:25 PM   #10

Definitely prefer the second one - it came out nicely. It's been cloudy and rainy recently, still haven't ventured out with polarizer again. Perhaps tomorrow, but this weekend just doesn't sound like picture-taking weather at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote